Erase all metadata while import

Started by Rene Toepfer, December 16, 2022, 06:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rene Toepfer

Is it possible to erase all metadata in an image while import? If yes, how is it possible (e.g. adjusted template of metadata while import)?

Mario

No, IMatch has no feature to erase all metadata during import. Metadata Templates are for adding/updating metadata tags, not for deleting them. If it's only a handful of tags you want to erase/wipe, it could be done with a Metadata Template. But not all metadata.

RAW and JPEG files produced by modern cameras usually contain several hundred metadata tags. And not all tags can be deleted. It's also worth mentioning that metadata is very important for a DAM, because many IMatch features cannot work without at least the basic minimum of metadata (like, date and time).

You can use the Delete Metadata preset in the The ExifTool Command Processor to delete all "deletable" metadata. This is not automatic, but this extra step avoids that you accidentally wipe metadata.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on December 16, 2022, 06:55:00 PM... If it's only a handful of tags you want to erase/wipe, it could be done with a Metadata Template. But not all metadata. ...

For me, if I want delete some metadata during import (from foreign sources), the most interesting metas I can delete in a metadata template during import. 

The others, what cannot be deleted, are not interesting for me. 
And maybe for Rene this is also enough good. 
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Rene Toepfer

For me it is just sufficient to delete all existing (mostly unstructured) keywords, title, headline, description (if there) etc. These are in images I have exported using LR, added manually some description but all years before using Imatch. For a current project I am forced to use these old images but I want to use the current way for metadata.

I assume the best way is as Mario described to erase all using the exiftool command processor.

Thanks for your support. 

Mario

If it a manageable number of tags (say, up to 20 or 30), use a Metadata Panel, especially if it is only XMP metadata.
Else, use the "Delete XMP" and, as required, "Delete IPTC" presets. Check your files to see what they contain in the ECP.
Keep EXIF and GPS.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook