(Re)scanning speed

Started by rlgreen, December 19, 2022, 08:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlgreen

I'm certain I'm revealing my ignorance here, but questioning why re-scanning a (previously scanned) folder of 8,000 files (1700 folders) with only a few new files requires many minutes of processing. Can Imatch quickly recognize and ignore previously scanned and unchanged folders and files? 

I use another program (Recoll) that indexes text in OCR'd PDF files. It scans the same folders and files as Imatch but quickly identifies and processes only changed/new files. 

Two very different programs, but curious why Imatch seems to spend extended time scanning unchanged folders. 

Mario

When IMatch rescans a folder, it just compares the "last modified" timestamp of files reported by the file system with the timestamp recorded for the file in the database. Only files with a newer "last modified" timestamp are rescanned.

This is a very fast operation, a few seconds tops for 10,000 files.

Switch IMatch to debug logging (Help menu > Support) and repeat this step.
ZIP and attach the log file. See log file for more info.

This will show us how much time is spend in which part of the program, how many new files or modified are found etc.
You can also monitor what IMatch is doing in the Dashboard or the Info & Activity Panel.

From experience, either IMatch finds many modified files, or your virus-checker is interfering, slowing down IMatch to crawl. The log file will tell us more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook