Extract jpeg from Raw

Started by stefanjan2, January 01, 2023, 02:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanjan2

Is it possible within imatch to extract a jpeg preview from within a CR3 Raw file?

If not, any recommendations for free software which might do this?

Reason for asking, we have a competition at our club for shots straight out of camera. I generally only shoot RAW and RAW shots straight out of camera are very flat compared to the embedded jpeg.

Jingo

I would check and see if your camera has the option to shoot RAW+JPG (most modern cameras that shoot RAW allow this).  Best of both worlds for situations like this... camera does processing of RAW to create the JPG but also deposits a RAW file per usual on the memory card.

For software that extracts the JPG preview, check out RawPreviewExtractor by FastRawViewer... should do the trick for ya!

Mario

When I need to do something like this (rarely) I just use ExifTool on the command line:

exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw "Input file name" > "output file name"

for example:

exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw "c:\images\_DSC_1233.CR3" > "c:\images\DSC_1233.jpg"

The -JpgFromRaw is the largest JPG in CR3 files. To list all available preview images, you can use

exiftool -preview:all "c:\images\_DSC_1233.CR3"

ExifTool can also extract previews from all files in a folder and you can control the file names of the resulting images. See https://exiftool.org/exiftool_pod.html for more information (search for - JpgFromRaw).

IMatch comes with ExifTool, so you can run it from the command line. It's in c:\program files\photools.com\imatch6\exiftool.exe
Since my example above uses redirection via > you cannot use the ExifTool Command Processor in IMatch directly to do this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2

Quote from: Jingo on January 01, 2023, 03:16:49 PMI would check and see if your camera has the option to shoot RAW+JPG
Yes, since the competition was announced I have been shooting RAW+JPG on both my cameras.
QuoteFor software that extracts the JPG preview, check out RawPreviewExtractor by FastRawViewer... should do the trick for ya!
Wow!!! RawPreviewExtractor does a great job and is so easy to use. It extracted 6960 x 4640 jpeg previews from my R7 Raw files. As I need to send 1600 max on the long side this looks to be ideal.
Thanks for your help

Jingo

Quote from: stefanjan2 on January 01, 2023, 07:02:09 PM
Quote from: Jingo on January 01, 2023, 03:16:49 PMI would check and see if your camera has the option to shoot RAW+JPG
Yes, since the competition was announced I have been shooting RAW+JPG on both my cameras.
QuoteFor software that extracts the JPG preview, check out RawPreviewExtractor by FastRawViewer... should do the trick for ya!
Wow!!! RawPreviewExtractor does a great job and is so easy to use. It extracted 6960 x 4640 jpeg previews from my R7 Raw files. As I need to send 1600 max on the long side this looks to be ideal.
Thanks for your help
Anytime... glad to help!