cant open/convert database... "

Started by rgdudley, January 05, 2023, 06:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgdudley

I am trying to open a database that has not been used in a few years.  It has the extension .imd4.  (Was moved with associated pictures and folders from another computer)

I can get iMatch to tell me "database upgrade required" but when I say yes to proceed, the next screen tells me that the

"Database is locked or write-protected".   However it is not write protected.

I have another database that I use regularly with no problems so I believe that the iMatch installation is working OK.

How can I get iMatch to open this database?

Richard

R

Mario

Which version of IMatch are you using?

.imd4 databases were produced by IMatch version 3, many years ago.
IMatch uses the .imd5 file extension since IMatch 5, released in 2015.

IMatch 5, 5.5, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 included a database converter that could convert old IMatch 3-style .imd4 databases. This converter was discontinued when IMatch moved to 64-bit only, which was end of 2019, I believe.
If you never converted this database to the .im5 format, you cannot open it in current IMatch versions. IMatch 5 introduced a new database technology which is very different from what IMatch 3 had used.

The "Open Database" command in current IMatch version only expects files with the .imd5 extension. How do you attempt to open a file with the .imd4 extension?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rgdudley

I was afraid of that.

I am using iMatch 2021.18.4

I just opened the older file with iMatch by telling it to open that file.  Also tried renaming the file extension.  Also told windows to open with iMatch.   Of course non of that worked  :)

==>  So do I have any options for getting that database working again?   

Looks like there are several thousand images in it.  These are pictures my wife took, but she gave up on iMatch a few years ago.   I wanted to try and rescue that work she had done cataloging those pics. 

R

rgdudley

By the way, I do have the install files for a number of older imatch versions in my computer backups.

Is it possible to install a second, older version of iMatch to recover and convert that datbase?   Or will that cause problems with the current installation?

thanks, Richard
R

Mario

You cannot install multiple copies of IMatch on the same PC.

And not having the database does not mean you don't have the images anymore. IMatch databases to not contain your images, they just link to it.
Just add the images to a new database, IMatch will pick up the metadata contained in the files automatically, do face recognition etc.

You can install a copy of IMatch 3 or a copy of a later version of IMatch 5, 5.5, 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019 (before the switch to 64-bit only) on a second PC. This gives you the database converter. Not sure if this is worth the effort. Usually you are better off to just add the images to a modern database.

In the case your old database contains category assignments and/or properties you must convert, you can export them in IMatch 3 and then import them into IMatch 2023. There is a historic document which describes this (headline 4.1):
https://www.photools.com/2928/upgrading-to-imatch-5/
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook