Reverse geocoding changes coords

Started by DigPeter, November 12, 2013, 06:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

With either Google or Geonames selected in preferences, reverse geocoding changes the cooordinates, as well as filling place names.  Is this intended?  It is certainly not a result I am looking for. :'(

This is what I do:

- In Preferences Geocode service is either Google or Geonames (they both give a similar result)
- In File window, select a geocoded image - see first attachment
- In Metadata Panel/Location Layout click Reverse Geocode button
- In Reverse Geocode dialog, click Lookup
- Select location (Google and Geonames present different locations, but in the area of the coordinates)
- Click OK.

After Updating, the coords change and a new altitude is displayed.

The second attachment shows the result with Geonames where the coords are different from those before.
The third attachment shows the result with Google, where the coords have changed again and the altitude is in the stratosphere.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cytochrome

To understand what's happening, open first the map panel F9,P, watch where your picture is located, zoom in largely to see details,  then activate the reverse geocoding: at the moment you accept the localization proposed the flag will move...

This is because in the geocoding service the location is linked to some "official place" like town house, post office etc...

Apparently the check box "Fill only empty fields" does not apply to the coordinates. To me it looks like a bug but I don't use the reverse geocoding...

Francis

DigPeter

Thanks Francis.

Quote from: cytochrome on November 12, 2013, 08:58:35 PM
To understand what's happening, open first the map panel F9,P, watch where your picture is located, zoom in largely to see details,  then activate the reverse geocoding: at the moment you accept the localization proposed the flag will move...
Yes - this is what happens.  Depending on the location selected, the flag can move upto 500m.

QuoteThis is because in the geocoding service the location is linked to some "official place" like town house, post office etc...

Apparently the check box "Fill only empty fields" does not apply to the coordinates. To me it looks like a bug but I don't use the reverse geocoding...

Francis
I fear it is a bug, but I am hoping there might be a way round it.  If this is done in Geosetter instead, the geo data also goes into Hierarchical subject (keywords) .  Then these can turn up in @keywords when the image is ingested in IM5.

cytochrome

Hello Peter,

If it is a bug it would be enough to include geodata in the "fill only empty fields" check ==> one could preserve the gps data (generally more exact) already recorded in the image.

I was not aware of the location ===>  keywords done by geosetter. Would explain why I see location keywords in some images  that I don't remember having written (could also be great age ;)).

If you feel it is a bug, transfer it to the bug section of the forum.

Francis

DigPeter

A bug report has now been posted - see https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=1298.0 .

I was not aware of the location ===>  keywords done by geosetter. Would explain why I see location keywords in some images  that I don't remember having written
I have now established that writing geodata to keywords can be prevented in Geosetter by de-selecting the keyword fields in file>settings>data preferences .