[2021.18.4] Folder multiple times in folder tree

Started by Rene Toepfer, January 31, 2023, 07:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rene Toepfer

In the Media tree I have several folders from 2022. They contain different subdirectories. Why are they not in a single 2022 folder?
2023-01-31_18-55-31.png

As you can see, it is the same root folder for both: 
2023-01-31_18-47-39.png 2023-01-31_18-48-03.png

As you can see, it is the same root folder for both:  Also, the upper 2022 folder needs to be updated, but even with "Forced Update" (CTRL+click on [...]) the update icon does not disappear.
Meanwhile, I have run a diagnostic and orphaned metadata entries have been deleted. No change to the folders. My last attempt was to compress and optimise the db.

Is there a solution for this behaviour?

Mario

Hard to say. How did you add two the folders?
The file count is vastly different too.
What kind of drive is F:?
Maybe just close the database and open it again?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rene Toepfer

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2023, 07:14:42 PMHard to say. How did you add two the folders?
Drag'n'drop in one case (2022-026) and refreshing the folder "2022-039". Last one was already imported. I have done some changes on the files, added some and wanted just update IM with these changes.

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2023, 07:14:42 PMWhat kind of drive is F:?
SATA, Seagate Exos 8 TiB

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2023, 07:14:42 PMMaybe just close the database and open it again?
Several times, no changes.

Even in my backup files it is the same behaviour.

rolandgifford

The first one is flagged as needing refresh. Is that significant?

Is it possible to drag files from the folder with the smaller number to the one with the larger number (to fix the problem rather than explain the problem)?

Rene Toepfer

Quote from: rolandgifford on January 31, 2023, 07:35:38 PMThe first one is flagged as needing refresh. Is that significant?
This flag does not disappear if I refresh the folder.

Quote from: rolandgifford on January 31, 2023, 07:35:38 PMIs it possible to drag files from the folder with the smaller number to the one with the larger number (to fix the problem rather than explain the problem)?
If I drag'n'drop them within IM folder tree, the folder will be deleted on the harddrive. I was hoping that the tree is just a virtual tree but it is 1:1 the harddrive folder structure.

Mario

QuoteIf I drag'n'drop them within IM folder tree, the folder will be deleted on the harddrive.
Dragging a folder into the Media & Folders View will add it to the database: Adding Folders Using Drag and Drop
This will not change the folder or remove it from the file system. What makes you think that?
The only command in IMatch that deletes folders is the "Delete Folder" command, and this command prompts the user before doing anything.

QuoteI was hoping that the tree is just a virtual tree but it is 1:1 the harddrive folder structure.
There is nothing in the IMatch help system or any of the tutorial video that talks about virtual folders in IMatch.
The Media & Folders View represents what is in the Windows file system (based on the folders you have included in your database).

Don't hope for features. Ask if you make assumptions and we'll tell you if your assumptions are correct or which features IMatch offers to achieve what you want to do.
In general, if it is not documented in the IMatch Help System, it does not exist.

You can create a virtual folder View in the Category panel if you need such a thing. Either using categories to organize your files independent from the file system or by using @Folder formulas to link a category to a physical folder.

Have you perhaps dropped the same folder twice into IMatch, willingly?
This should do no harm, since IMatch will recognize that. Maybe all that was missing was clicking into the Media & Folders tree and pressing <F5> to force an immediate refresh of the tree to re-arrange the display.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rene Toepfer

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2023, 07:56:33 PM
QuoteIf I drag'n'drop them within IM folder tree, the folder will be deleted on the harddrive.
Dragging a folder into the Media & Folders View will add it to the database: Adding Folders Using Drag and Drop
This will not change the folder or remove it from the file system. What makes you think that?
I was not writing about adding folders to IM but drag'n'drop WITHIN the folder tree.

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2023, 07:56:33 PMHave you perhaps dropped the same folder twice into IMatch, willingly?
No, I don't have.

<F5> does not make a difference.

Mario

QuoteI was not writing about adding folders to IM but drag'n'drop WITHIN the folder tree.
I see. Dragging and dropping folders within the Media & Folders tree will copy or move folders. Not delete folders from disk. Not sure how a folder could be deleted by that. IMatch just forwards the operation you ask for to Windows and lets its do its job.

After which operation did the copy of a a physical folder appear in the Media & Folder View?
I have not heard about that before and I have no real idea how this could be achieved. You can only drag a folder "on" another folder, to move / copy it into that folder.

May run a database diagnosis to ensure the database is OK and in-sync with the file system?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Rene Toepfer

Everything within the folder tree.
I drag'n'droped from one of the lower 2022 folders into the upper 2022 folder. In this case the files were moved to itself. I assume it is because of the behaviour.

It seems I have found the solution for my query meanwhile. I have done the The Relocate Command (Update Folder Location). Even I relocated from "F:\aufträge\2022" to "F:\aufträge\2022" it works again and therefore it seems that there was something broken. Currently, I do some tests.

rolandgifford

Quote from: Rene Toepfer on January 31, 2023, 07:38:56 PMI was hoping that the tree is just a virtual tree but it is 1:1 the harddrive folder structure.

Two folders are showing within Windows File Manager?

Mario

This would suggest that you have changed the media on which the folder is stored?
Swapped disks?
If F: is a NAS, maybe the SAMBA instance has changed the drive serial number?

But in this case, one of the F: folders should show as off-line...no idea.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Rene Toepfer

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2023, 09:20:52 PMThis would suggest that you have changed the media on which the folder is stored?
Swapped disks?
If F: is a NAS, maybe the SAMBA instance has changed the drive serial number?
No, none of the above mentioned. I have installed a new harddrive but with a different drive letter and not for images/videos and not for usage within IM.

A.m. issue was solved with the relocation. Final test was done. I have no glue what was going on...