How to clean up my meta data (keywords)

Started by robbo56gbr, March 10, 2023, 01:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbo56gbr

I have been gradually adding my images to IMatch database over last few weeks and I have got versioning how I want it etc and generally have the hierarchies nailed.  Now I come to looking at my keywords which to be honest is a bit of a mess. There will be some existing inconsistency in my keyword metadata which I want to remove and replace with consistent text.

I want to start using only Structured keywords from the Thesaurus. I will expect to also add some of my own keywords to the thesaurus.

Can anyone suggest the best starting point and approach for this mammoth task?

Mario

When I understand you correctly, you have added keywords inconsistently over the years. Different keywords for the same thing, missing keywords, typos and stuff?

This is perfectly normal. Many users face this when they start using a DAM and caring for the metadata, Consistent keywording is very hard to do without a thesaurus.

I recommend the @Keywords Category as a starting point. It organizes your files by their actual keyword and makes it very easy to rename keywords globally, move and copy files between keywords etc. See the help topic for details.
This usually solves inconsistent naming quite quickly.

I recommend to set up visual clues for keywords yo you can immediately tell if a file has missing keywords or duplicate keywords.

The Keywords Panel allows you to batch-edit keywords for any number of files, add/replace keywords easily.

Before you start (unless you did already), give your controlled keywords vocabulary a good THINK.

Often users start with a much to detailed keyword list - simple is better. Unless you work with scientific taxonomies, too many levels is bad. Keep it simple. If you make your keyword set too large and too complex, you most likely won't finish the task.

Simpler is usually better.

Think of keywords as helpers to quickly find and organize files.
How would you like to make IMatch (or another application) organize your files by keywords?
How would you like to be able to search using keywords.
Do you need keywords in multiple languages?

Details go into the headline and description, not into keywords.

Get yourself acquainted with the synonym and the very powerful keyword links feature in the IMatch thesaurus.
These features can safe you lots of time.

All this of course depends on your kind of photography and motive. If you only to this for yourself and family or if you have to deliver files to clients or agencies.

Before you start, mark files which need work somehow (e.g. put them into a category or collection).
When you're finished with a file, remove it from the category / collection.
This way you see progress.
If you use a category, create a favorite for it and assign a keyboard shortcut. This way you can quickly un-assign finished files.

The Metadata Mechanic app can help with replacing keywords or fixing typos intelligently and easily.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

robbo56gbr

Thanks for the usual swift response.  I think if I follow your guidance it may not take too long.  I do not need many layers of descriptions,so will keep it simple.

Would you advise only applying this improved keywords to my raw files at first (these are always my master files), and when I finish this, simply propogate to versions? May be before this step I should remove all keywords from child files so that they only end up with the cleaned metadata

robbo56gbr

As you suggested first step was to set up Colour Coding for the Category "No Keywords".
I must be missing something as the Colour Coding Property is not present in the Properties Window

thrinn

Quote from: robbo56gbr on March 10, 2023, 03:56:53 PMI must be missing something as the Colour Coding Property is not present in the Properties Window
You can color code regular categories, data-driven categories, @Keyword categories. But not formula-based categories. I assume "No Keywords" is a formula?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

robbo56gbr