Event view and visual proxies

Started by Carlo Didier, February 04, 2023, 12:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

It seems that in the event view, visual proxies don't work.

I have defined JPGs as visual proxies for my RAF raw files and that works everywhere else (with some small issues like iMatch not always automatically detecting the related files, but that's for another topic).

But in the event view, there are two issues:
- The RAF file is displayed as is, instead of its visual proxy
- The JPG is displayed alongside the RAF

The second point may be caused by my event definition with a RegEx filter on the filename, but I don't know how I could fix that, because there may also be JPGs (from my phone) without corresponding RAFs, so I can't just filter out the JPGs.

In the screenshot, the JPG on the right is the visual proxy for the RAF on the left.

Mario

The cover images shown for events are selected by the user.
IMatch picks one by default, the rest is up to the user. See Event Cover Images

I understand that you have picked a RAW file to display as the cover image for an event. Not the JPG.
I'm not sure at this time if event cover images support the proxy image logic implemented for File Windows and the Viewer. I shall make a note to check that for a future IMatch release.

You can easily work around this by using the JPEG as the cover image, not the RAW.

Not sure what you mean by your RegExp comment.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

You misunderstood my question. I'm not talking about the Event cover image but about visual proxies of images shown under the event.
I mentioned the RegEx as I use a RegEx expression as a file filter in the event as shown in my screenshot. Just an information, as I thought it might be of importance, should you not have noticed it in the screenshot (which obviously you didn't  :) )

Carlo Didier

To clarify. In the attached screenshot of the event, you can see that the RAF and the JPG, which is defined as the visual proxy of the RAF, are both shown. I just want to see the RAF (as visualized by the visual proxy) just as in any other view.

Mario

As I said: if visual proxies for RAW files are not yet supported for Event View cover images, just select the JPEG as the cover file. Problem solved.

File Windows used by the Event View are the same as all other File Windows. Visual proxies will work there like in any other File Window. The File Window manages the visual proxy logic, not the event or folder or category used to fill the File Window. Maybe some issue with your version rules?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Made a check. NEF RAW with JPG version as proxy.
The JPEG is a gray-scale version of the NEF to make this very clear.

The proxy is used in the File Window AND also in the Event when I pick the RAW as the cover file.

So, it seems to work as it should.

Image3.jpg
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

PLEASE read my post carefully. I am NOT talking about the event cover image!
I am talking about the images displayed in the event as shown in my screenshot.
After manually refreshing all the relations, at least the raw files are displayed correctly from the visual proxy JPGs now.
So that problem is solved.

But I still don't want to see the JPGs which are only visual proxies. In other views I don't see them because they are in a subfolder under the folder containing the master. Somehow, I must find a way to filter out images which are visual proxies. But that's another problem, not a bug.

So this can be closed.

Mario

QuoteAfter manually refreshing all the relations, at least the raw files are displayed correctly from the visual proxy JPGs now.
So that problem is solved.
This indicates that your relation rules are not working right and somehow depend on the order in which files come into the database. This makes this random and you should reconsider your rules and their order, avoid rules which could make a master a version sometimes etc.

QuoteBut I still don't want to see the JPGs which are only visual proxies. In other views I don't see them because they are in a subfolder under the folder containing the master. Somehow, I must find a way to filter out images which are visual proxies. But that's another problem, not a bug.
Yeah, well. Events have no sub-folders. All files put in the event are displayed. You either must avoid putting your "visual proxy only versions" into the event (recommended) or remove them later (via the File window and <U> or use the Filter Panel or the File Window search bar or put all your "visual proxy versions" into a category and use that as a filter or place them into a collection and use that as a filter or whatever works for you.

If you create events dynamically from time ranges and you are only interested in DNG files, filter by regexp .\DNG
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on February 04, 2023, 06:33:37 PMIf you create events dynamically from time ranges and you are only interested in DNG files, filter by regexp .\DNG
But I can have raw files of various types from my DSLRs and JPG files from my phone which I all want to see. I just don't want to see the JPGs which are visual proxies.

I have managed to solve the issue by defining the visual proxies also, with an additional rule, as buddy files and activated the "hide buddy files" filter. Not ideal, but it works. Would be nice to have a global setting to hide buddy files instead of having to use a filter.

Mario

Buddy files are automatically renamed, moved, copied and deleted with their masters.
I would not recommend to use them for other purposes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on February 05, 2023, 02:13:20 PMBuddy files are automatically renamed, moved, copied and deleted with their masters.
I would not recommend to use them for other purposes.
I know, but those are things I would logically also want iMatch to do for visual proxies (if, for ex. I rename the raw file, it is very convenient to have the visual proxy also renamed, to they keep "in sync"). So there's no issue in that.