Embed Category info in File

Started by Josebr, February 08, 2023, 03:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josebr

I love Imatch. but it's like being in an Apple Eco-system. You need Imatch to search meta data which in reality is in a database and not on the file itself.  Is there a way to embed the category information I have on Imatch into the photo themselves? That way other programs like Lightroom or Bridge, ACDC, etc can view and search the meta data?

Mario

Quotebut it's like being in an Apple Eco-system.

I STRONGLY reject this statement :(

IMatch embeds all standard metadata like IPTC, EXIF, GPS and XMP directly into the image file or sidecar file.
This includes the important hierarchical keywords, which have replaced categories for many users.
This mechanism ensures that your metadata is stored in the image and accessible for all other applications on all platforms. IMatch goes a long way to ensure that!

Categories are an unique IMatch feature. There is no concept in metadata that can handle the features provided by IMatch categories, like data-driven categories, formulas, Alias categories and all the properties associated with categories.

The solution for your problem is simple. Use hierarchical keywords instead of categories.
That's the recommended workflow.

IMatch stores hierarchical keywords in your files automatically. And with @Keywords IMatch seamlessly integrates hierarchical keywords into categories, two-way. And you have the Keywords Panel with many powerful functions to work with keywords and the Thesaurus for creating and using controlled vocabularies.

Use categories for organization you don't want embedded in files, for dynamic combination of categories via formulas and for data-driven categories of course.

If you intent to use categories for things which should be done via keywords, you can copy categories into hierarchical keywords with a Metadata Template if you have to.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Josebr on February 08, 2023, 03:07:05 PMI love Imatch. but it's like being in an Apple Eco-system. You need Imatch to search meta data which in reality is in a database and not on the file itself.  ...

Sorry, but this is nonsense. ::) IMatch is one of the DAM, what is very open. You can import, export, embedd in files and what else. 
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

thrinn

Quote from: Josebr on February 08, 2023, 03:07:05 PMIs there a way to embed the category information I have on Imatch into the photo themselves?
If you are not familiar with the differences between Keywords and Categories yet, you will also find a lot of information in the corresponding help topics: Keywords vs. Categories for example helps to understand what you may want to use.

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Ger

I do agree with Markus's comment:

QuoteIMatch is one of the DAM, what is very open. You can import, export, embedd in files and what else.

It relates very much to the comment I made some time ago in the thread with Mario's question: What makes IMatch unique?