Batch Processor - Stacking

Started by stefanjan2, February 25, 2023, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanjan2

I'm trying to figure out how stacking works in the image batch processor.

In help reads:

"Stacking
If you want to automatically stack the output image with the original image, choose one of the options available in the Stacking drop-down list."

In the Image Batch Processor, Metadata tab, under Stacking the options are: Stack, Don't Stack, Stack and Make top. I've selected Stack.

My output files are not stacking with the original. Am I missing something?

Mario

I select two files and export them with a BP preset that has the "Stack" option enabled.
The two output files and the two source files are stacked.
Requirement is of course that the output files are saved to a folder indexed by your database.

Since it works here and AFAIK no other user ever reported a problem with this, please make sure to include the exact steps you perform, where you let the BP write the output files, the IMatch log file in debug mode (see log file) from the IMatch session where you ran your BP preset and the outcome was not as expected.

Think: "What would Mario (or other users) need to reproduce this?".  More info and details is usually better.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2

Quote from: Mario on February 25, 2023, 07:44:31 PMSince it works here and AFAIK no other user ever reported a problem with this
Apologies, I was confused between version stacking and normal stacking. I was using "T" and expecting the stack to collapse / unstack when I should have been using Shift E / C. I was also confused by the two numbers appearing on stack top thumbnail. I now guess that the left one means the number of files in the version stack and the right in a normal stack.

I'm wondering whether this help topic https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/thumb_tips.htm could be more explicit in explaining the two numbers. Also is this sentence correct "To preview the contents of regular or version stacks in a File Window, point at the stack/version icon in the thumbnail panel:" Nothing happens if I point at the icon, as well as pointing, I have to click. Should this read click on the stack / version icon?

Mario

Mixing regular and version stacks as you do is pretty uncommon, since versions create a stack automatically.

The stack counters (numbers) are explained in the stack help topic and version help topic, respectively.

Quote"To preview the contents of regular or version stacks in a File Window, point at the stack/version icon in the thumbnail panel:" Nothing happens if I point at the icon, as well as pointing, I have to click. Should this read click on the stack / version icon?
No. Just hover the mouse cursor over the stack or version stack icon. Just tried, works here. Even for files which are both part of a version stack and regular stack:

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2

Quote from: Mario on February 26, 2023, 10:16:30 AMMixing regular and version stacks as you do is pretty uncommon, since versions create a stack automatically.
I would much rather just work  with version stacks, would be far less confusing for me than having both version and regular stacks.

Currently I use the following relation definitions to link via File Name. The second of the Relation Definitions is to make sure the processed jpeg is used As Visual etc for the master.

\.(cr3|cr2|nef|rw2|raf|srw|arw|dng|jpg)$
/^_*//
^{name}.*\.(afphoto|tif|tiff|psd|heic)$

\.(cr3|cr2|nef|rw2|raf|srw|arw|dng|jpg)$
/^_*//
^{name}.*\.(jpg|jpeg)$

I use the image batch processor to create further jpegs (Web, email etc.) in sub folders.

Instead of linking on File Name would it be better to replace the above File Relation definitions with XMP DocumentID? Or should I add additional buddy and version relations just for the image batch processor and presumably the additional definition would then come before my existing name definitions.

Just ran some tests in a test database and it seemed to work OK
<quote>
Just hover the mouse cursor over the stack or version stack icon.
</quote>
Sorry again I was clicking the wrong icons (the number icons not the bottom icons).

Mario

Use the simplest method that works for you. I do all my versioning using file names, for many years.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

stefanjan2

Quote from: Mario on February 26, 2023, 06:33:14 PMUse the simplest method that works for you. I do all my versioning using file names, for many years.
I omitted to mention that files created by the image batch processor have a different name, e.g. "Stefan Sheriden Jakes Trophy - {File.MD.XMP::photoshop\Headline\Headline\0}"

That's why linking on file name doesn't work for the files I create via the image batch processor.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator