Missing Visual proxy

Started by robbo56gbr, February 27, 2023, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbo56gbr

I have a Raw File (CR2) which has 3 child versions, namely TIF, AffinityPhoto and JPEG.  The viewer correctly states a value of 4.  Also the stack popup shows 3 related images, but the afphoto does not generate a thumbnail. I am fine with that as it is a layered file , but in the main window I would like to see the jpeg as the visual proxy. Originally when I just had the RAW, TIFF and JPEG it was fine.

Seems like adding the afphoto to the Version Set has stopped the jpeg being selected as the visual proxy.

Mario

Maybe the wrong version is picked first?
See the corresponding comments in the versioning help topic.
Probably better to make two rules for CR2, one that uses only JPEG as the version and proxy, and another that grabs all other files you see as versions.

IMatch pulls thumbnails for the proprietary Serif/Affinity file formats via a Windows service that itself relies on the shell thumbnail handlers installed by Affinity products. If the handler does not support the file format or a specific variant like multi-layer, there is nothing I can do. Although I have many multi-layered Affinity Designer (1 and 2) files and they all show fine in IMatch (and Windows Explorer).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

robbo56gbr

Thanks Mario, I set the 2 rules as you said and that has fixed the JPEG to be the visual proxy in the main thumbnail viewer.
In the main view window when I open the set, still the affinity file is not visualised, but I think this is a specific file issue , because like you I have other images with affinity versions and they do display correctly.
Any way, the main issue is now solved.  :) 

thrinn

Quote from: robbo56gbr on February 27, 2023, 02:18:00 PMIn the main view window when I open the set, still the affinity file is not visualised,
If you mean the Viewer: Check if you have Visual Proxy activated (shortcut T,X). You can choose if visual proxies are used or the original file.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

stefanjan2

Quote from: robbo56gbr on February 27, 2023, 02:18:00 PMIn the main view window when I open the set, still the affinity file is not visualised,
Like you, I have recently switched to having a separate definition to only have jpeg as visual proxy.
Also like you I have some Affinity Photo files without a thumbnail in imatch.
I'm wondering whether this was caused by my previous definitions.

This fix seems to work for me, hope it works for you as well.

In imatch do a global search for afphoto.

Select files without a thumbnail

Right mouse click and select Rescan while holding down the control key (Windows)

Select "Force Update"

stefanjan2

I tested this a bit further and found that if send a TIFF to Affinity (from Photolab), then use Save As command to create a .afphoto file, a thumbnail is not created in Windows Explorer until I close the image in Affinity.

So imatch does not show thumbnail unless I force an update.

Is there an automated workaround in imatch? I have raised this in the Affinity forum https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/182150-thumbnails-not-saved-in-affinity-until-i-close-the-file/

Mario

Quotecommand to create a .afphoto file, a thumbnail is not created in Windows Explorer until I close the image in Affinity.
Affinity then keeps the file locked, inaccessible for other applications or the shell thumbnail handler. Not uncommon.
If IMatch happens to try to scan the file in this situation, the shell thumbnail handler may fail with an error. And IMatch will log that and mark the file as having no thumbnail. IMatch cannot know that the thumbnail handler fails because the file is currently open in Affinity.

Change your workflow accordingly.
Close IMatch and open it when all files are closed in Affinity (so the files are unlocked and can be processed) or manually force-rescan the files after you have closed them in Affinity with Shift+Ctrl+F5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2

Quote from: Mario on February 27, 2023, 07:27:16 PMmanually force-rescan the files after you have closed them in Affinity with Shift+Ctrl+F5.
Thanks, I'll be going for that option.

robbo56gbr