IMatch appears to crash - but possibly related to disk

Started by Aubrey, March 06, 2023, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

IMatch is crashing.
I have disconnected my external disk drive and IMatch does not crash. I have performed database diagnostics and everything passes.

Run chkdsk /f on external disk - there are no problems.

When I run IMatch with disk attached, IMatch appears to be doing a lot of housekeeping (as seen in bottom right of window) and then after a few minutes crashes (I am not interacting with the program)

(I have loaded 2 previous backups and the same problem occurs)

Attached is a debug log, I don't see any problems. Mario may see something....

Aubrey.

Aubrey

I had another copy of database on my IMWS PC. I've checked this out on the IMWS PC with IMatch, it's running fine.
I've copied that file back to my main PC and it is running fine with external disk drive, (having had to do a disk relocate)

So I'm back running again.

Bizarre problem: one of my backups I checked was exactly same file as I copied to IMWS PC.

Anyway problem sorted.... everyone - don't forget to have multiple backups!

Mario

When IMatch crashes, it produces a DUMP file. Do you get this message: The Debug Dump File ?
If no DUMP file is created, IMatch is terminated by Windows because something "external" failed. A driver, WIC codec. Or the installed virus checker intervened in a bad way...

I see some strange warnings about duplicate resource ids when loading Annotation shapes. This looks like some mixed up installation with duplicate folders or something. Is this a normal IMatch installation or did you copy folders around, re-installed IMatch, used Pack & Go...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on March 07, 2023, 12:12:48 AMsee some strange warnings about duplicate resource ids when loading Annotation shapes. This looks like some mixed up installation with duplicate folders or something. Is this a normal IMatch installation or did you copy folders around, re-installed IMatch, used Pack & Go...?

Some years ago I played with annotations to try and create my own arrows etc., perhaps this is a leftover from that. I'll look at log file again.  I can probably clean these up by reinstallation or simply copy a clean  annotations into c:\ProgramData\photools.com\imatch6.

I finally tracked down the specific crashing issue: it was due to DNG files (from DxO)* that I had from Dec 2018, I was trying to batch process one of them. It was strange as the file in question loaded fine in fast image viewer.
(* I have a vague recollection of having orientation issues with this one particular image in the past)

I removed the folder from the database, then deleted the DNG files. 
Reloaded the folder in the database. I had kept all xmp files and DxO .dop files (.dop contain the info to recreate work done in Photolab). 
Then reloaded NEF files into Photolab and exported the new DNG files. 

As I had xmp files all my keywords etc. were available on reloading the folder.
IMatch has all the facilities to sort out issues  ;)

If there is time I might create a new database and just test the old DNG file set.

Mario

If you find a DNG file that crashes IMatch (or, more likely, the WIC codec) send it to support email address, with a link back to this thread.
If this is caused by something I can control, I will look into it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Hi Mario,
I just tried loading the folder with the images into a new database.
The only message is "photools.com IMatch Application has stopped working", no dump file.
I'll send the folder to support with link back to this thread.

Zipped size is 80MB, going to send via Google link... OK?
Aubrey.

Mario

This would indicate that the error happens in something external (WIC codec, ExifTool, ...).
I'll know more when I have the folder here in my lab.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

I have downloaded the sample files, thanks.

IMatch 2023 and IMatch 2021.18.4 both processed the files without any problems or crashes.
I tried both WIC codec and photools.com RAW processing, and on two PC's.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Mario,
thank you for checking.
Tried again on my main PC and again after blurred picture appeared I got the message " "photools.com IMatch Application has stopped working"

Copied the folder to my IMWS PC and created new database - loaded fine as you found.

Looks like I have an issue with my installation.  :(
I'll uninstall and clean also remove (or rename) imatch6 from program data, and see if issue disappears.

Aubrey.

Aubrey

Complete uninstall including any registry items. Still crashing on importing files in new database.

Quote from: Mario on March 07, 2023, 08:49:32 AMIf you find a DNG file that crashes IMatch (or, more likely, the WIC codec)

I changed to photools.com Raw processing to yes. Data loads fine.

I switched back to " no" and tried to open database again it opens fine. So looks like you suggested a WIC problem on loading.

Attached is a WIC diagnostics on the NEF file. I cannot do a WIC diagnostic on the DNG, it crashes regardless of setting for "photools.com Raw processing"

Clearly I have too many WICs! I'll see what I can clean out!

Mario

If you can process the folder using LibRaw (photools.com RAW processing enabled), it's most likely the WIC codec crashing on the DNG variant you use. The WIC diagnosis uses WIC and LibRaw. When this too crashes, it's the WIC codec.

On my system I have two WIC codecs responsible for .DNG files

Codec 'DNG Decoder' (Vendor: F0E749CA-EDEF-4589-A73A-EE0E626A2A2B)
Codec 'Microsoft Raw Image Decoder'

This is normal. One is installed with Windows and the other one is from the separate Codec Download.

Your system reports

Codec 'DNG Decoder'
Codec 'Microsoft Raw Image Decoder'
Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder'  <= EXTRA

so there is one extra WIC codec for DNG installed. No idea.
IMatch does not choose a codec when loading a DNG (or NEF) file. It instructs Windows WIC to open the file, and Windows selects the "best" codec. This is a bit of a black box.

Maybe check under Add/Remove software if the 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder'  can be uninstalled.
Then reboot, disable photools.com RAW support and do a forced rescan on some of the DNG files by selecting them in a File Window and then pressing Shift+Ctrl+F5. If it does not crash, the uninstalled codec was the problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

I have spent over an hour trying to work out how to remove Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder' to no avail.

I  then checked my IMWS PC, this also has Camera raw and this PC loaded the files without an issue.

Perhaps it's time to reinstall my operating system on my main computer, gremlins are slowly creeping in over last 4 years

Thank you for all your assistance with this issue.

Aubrey.