Easiest/Safest Way to Remove Files from Database

Started by Panther, March 07, 2023, 07:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panther

I have about 15,000 image files that were put into my database "by accident" (i.e., user changed her mind and doesn't want them in the database after all).  After reading through the help topics and trying to search the forum posts, it seems like the following would be the easiest/safest way to remove those files from the database, but I wanted to make sure before I launch into that effort.

Step 1.  Close database.
Step 2.  Move all the desired files out of the database folder(s) into some other drive/location not related to the database, using Windows Explorer/File manager.
Step 3.  Open database, and tell it to rescan the database folder(s) where the files used to be.

A.  Does that work?

B.  Is there an alternate way to do this from within iMatch?  (Some of the stuff I read talked about how to remove the files from the database without removing them from the disk, but I need to do both - move the files off the disk and also remove them from the database.)

Mario

Right-click on the folder in the Media & Folders View and select Remove from Database.
DO NOT CONFUSE with "Delete Folder".
Close IMatch.
Move the folders as needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Panther

Mario - thanks for the prompt response as always.  However, unfortunately the files to be removed aren't isolated in their own folders but are scattered among many folders along with files that need to stay in the database.  That's why I was thinking that moving the individual files out of their database-related folders into some other unrelated location(s) using Windows File Manager/Explorer, and then just having iMatch remove those files from the database when rescanning those folders might be a better way to do this (assuming that when iMatch removes them it doesn't note them as "offline" or something in the process - I want them completely gone from the database with no residual traces or markings when the process is finished).

Mario

You can remove individual files via the right-click context menu in the File Window.
But if you have many files in many folders, do your 1,2,3 plan. Close IMatch, move the files, restart IMatch. The files will show as off-line until you rescan the containing folder. Then they will be removed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Panther

Perfect - thanks so much.  Been away from iMatch for a couple of years or so due to other RL stuff, but just getting back into it and still amazed at both how cool the program is and how good your support still is.

Mario

Quote from: Panther on March 07, 2023, 08:35:14 PM(...) it and still amazed at both how cool the program is and how good your support still is.
I try to give the support I would like to receive from software vendors and other companies ;D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

If the individual files of those 15,000 that you want to remove from the database are scattered among many and various folders, you could just maybe first round up all those and assign to a collection or a category.  Then, just do a cut-and-paste into a separate folder inside IMatch.  From here, that separate folder is designated as to be out of IMatch, and thus, use the context menu>remove from database on that one folder.  DONE! 

thrinn

Quote from: Darius1968 on March 08, 2023, 02:42:49 PMIf the individual files of those 15,000 that you want to remove from the database are scattered among many and various folders, you could just maybe first round up all those and assign to a collection or a category.  Then, just do a cut-and-paste into a separate folder inside IMatch.  From here, that separate folder is designated as to be out of IMatch, and thus, use the context menu>remove from database on that one folder.  DONE! 

That's what I would do, also. This way you can make use of the searching and filtering possibilities in IMatch to identify the files. You can also double check on the resulting collection if the correct files have been selected. I think this is way more comfortable than doing the work in Windows File Explorer.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Panther

Thanks for the suggestions.  As it turned out, however, it was quite easy to identify the "offending" files just by looking at them in large icon view in Windows File Explorer, and the user was quite familiar with working in Windows File Explorer and was much more comfortable doing the copying/moving process in Windows File Explorer, so it was easier to get them moved out of the way through Windows and then let iMatch do its thing for removing them from the database upon a simple rescan.  

Good to know about the alternative ways for doing it from within iMatch, however, in case there's a next time where the batch of erroneous files isn't so easy to identify.

Mario

Whatever works best for you (or the the user) is good.

If you manually rescan the folder(s) afterwards, IMatch will remove the missing files and associated metadata.

In general, it is best to keep only files you really want to manage with your DAM in your DAM.
IMatch gives you a lot of control about which folders and files you add to your database - but in almost always it is best to separate the files to manage with your DAM from the files you plan to remain unmanaged (separate folder hierarchies).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator