Renamer problem

Started by rolandgifford, March 15, 2023, 06:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandgifford

IMatch has renamed my files in a way that I'm not expecting. Part of the problem is that may camera has recorded times in the images incorrectly (clearly not an IMatch problem) but also that IMatch has used that data in a way that I'm not expecting.

Knowing the changes to IMatch 2023 I decided to set the time in my camera for my most recent trip differently. I usually simply change the camera time to be the local time where I'm visiting but in this case I changed the location within the camera to achieve the same thing. I probably should have tested rather than trusted but I didn't.

I went to India, GMT+5:30

All of the times on the images show the correct India time but with an offset of 6:30
GPS time (from a bluetooth link to my phone) is the correct GMT time

The time used for my renamer rule is the incorrect GMT time based on the 6:30 offset which should be a 5:30 offset. It is this in particular that I'm asking about as I was expecting the renamer to use the India time.

Part of the fix will be to change the timezone offset (using TimeWiz or exiftool directly). I can presumably get what I want simply by changing this to zero and running the renamer again which won't apply an offset. Changing it to 5:30 corrects the data but IMatch would presumably still rename based on GMT. Is there some way I can make it use the India time without removing the timezone offset?

Mario

We need more information.

You don't list the steps you have used in your Renamer profile.
You don't show the original file names, the resulting file names.
You don't provide a sample image where we can check the data the camera has written, if there are time-zone offsets recorded in EXIF and what ExifTool produced from that information (this is what IMatch imports and uses as the base to calculate

Having this information would be very helpful to analyze this.

The default Date/Time steps in the Renamer use the File.DateTime and you can see File.DateTime e.g. in the VarToy using {File.DateTime|value:rawfrm}. If the date and time shown there matches what the Renamer has used, there is no problem in the Renamer.

File.DateTime is always in your local time-zone) See How IMatch uses Date and Time Information)
One hour difference could be caused by daylight saving being active (or not), for example.
This is one of the reasons for the changes IMatch 2023 introduces.

What does the Metadata Panel show for the date subject created for this file?
What does File.DateTime return for this file?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2023, 07:50:19 AMThe default Date/Time steps in the Renamer use the File.DateTime and you can see File.DateTime e.g. in the VarToy using {File.DateTime|value:rawfrm}. If the date and time shown there matches what the Renamer has used, there is no problem in the Renamer.

File.DateTime is always in your local time-zone) See How IMatch uses Date and Time Information)

File.DateTime is the root of my problem. I have followed the help link which I have followed and read beyond and I now better understand the cause of my problem, but not necessarily the best solution

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2023, 07:50:19 AMWhat does the Metadata Panel show for the date subject created for this file?
What does File.DateTime return for this file?

One example has File.DateTime of 19/02/2023 02:07:13 and a Date Subject Created of 2023:02:19 08:37:13+06:30

Renamed file name is RolandIndia 2023_0219_020713-002.JPG  using the default Date/Time options and nothing from the original file name

The +06:30 is incorrect and should be +05:30 but that isn't an IMatch issue.

The paired raw file has File.DateTime of 18/02/2023 19:37:13 and a Date Subject Created of 2023:02:19 02:07:13+06:30
File name matches the JPG

My Buddy/Version pairings have the JPG as the master

To resolve this I can see two options (but there may be others):

1. Remove the +06:30 from times using either exiftool or Time Wiz which effectively changes back to my camera settings up to this trip where I simply change the camera time rather than the camera location

2. Create a different rename rule using some other date/time

My initial preference is option 1 but I am questioning whether 2 is better based on your comments about the benefit of knowing the GMT time for images (which I admit to not understanding). I presumably need to fix the offset is I do this

Mario

When ingesting your files, IMatch has produced File.DateTime in local time by subtracting the +06:30 and then adding your local time-zone on top. This allows IMatch to show your files in local time => 8:37:13 - 06:30 => 02:07:13.

You can access the original subject date and time via standard metadata variables. Use substr to get the time portion only if this is what you want (which is still not clear to me). This would give you 08:37:13. Is this what you want?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

What I want is a filename of RolandIndia 2023_0219_083713-002.JPG
The date/time in the File Window shows GMT time (which is of no interest to me) but that is an aside. The file name is what matters

The different date Subject Created times on the JPG and the raw puzzle me.

Mario

QuoteThe different date Subject Created times on the JPG and the raw puzzle me.
Look at what's in your files with the Metadata Analyst.

This variable gives you the original time without :

{File.MD.XMP::photoshop\DateCreated\DateCreated|substr:11;replace::==}

Use it in a Text Step and combine it with a date step and other stuff as needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator