Blue "globe" on thumbnails

Started by DigPeter, November 15, 2013, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

Many of my images have gps data.  The thumbs of some of these have blue dots, others do not.  This quite a useful feature and I would like to know why?  Any offers?

Examples are attached.  The thumb of 10496 has a blue globe - this reverse geocoded;  the other does not have a blue globe and was not reverse geocoded.  In both cases the files had gps data when ingested by IM5, obtained from a gps track.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JohnZeman

Have you read the build 124 release notes yet?  It explains why some do and some don't.

DigPeter

Quote from: JohnZeman on November 15, 2013, 03:17:44 PM
Have you read the build 124 release notes yet?  It explains why some do and some don't.
No - thanks.  I will read it.

DigPeter

The note states: The info needs to be cached once for performance reasons.
The globe will show up the next time IMatch reloads the metadata for the file, or you change a metadata value.

I have default cache prefs, which has jpg cache off.  So I assume that I need to switch it on to get the globe on all files with unchanged metadata - which will be a substantial number of files.  Is there any disadvantage in doing this?

JohnZeman

It's not the jpg image cache, it's the metadata cache.  Just make a small change to some metadata then if necessary writeback to the files.

BenAW

Quote from: JohnZeman on November 15, 2013, 03:49:20 PM
It's not the jpg image cache, it's the metadata cache.  Just make a small change to some metadata then if necessary writeback to the files.
No need to write anything to the files. Just select all images with GPS data, in the rightclick menu do CTRL - Rescan Now and select Reload metadata.

DigPeter

Quote from: BenAW on November 15, 2013, 05:43:34 PM
Quote from: JohnZeman on November 15, 2013, 03:49:20 PM
No need to write anything to the files. Just select all images with GPS data, in the rightclick menu do CTRL - Rescan Now and select Reload metadata.
Thanks.  Only problem will be the shear numbers when I implement a full database (at present only a small proportion of some 3000 files).  We will see when the time comes. 

I have looked, but can find no obvious method of selecting all images with GPS data.  I assume it is a filter, but the GPS sections in the Panel and Help do not seem to provide for a global selection/search.  Neither can I work out how to do it through a metadata search.  Any help would be welcome.

thrinn

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

BenAW

Quote from: DigPeter on November 15, 2013, 07:07:07 PM
I have looked, but can find no obvious method of selecting all images with GPS data.  I assume it is a filter, but the GPS sections in the Panel and Help do not seem to provide for a global selection/search.  Neither can I work out how to do it through a metadata search.  Any help would be welcome.
See this thread.

bonsai

Quote from: DigPeter on November 15, 2013, 07:07:07 PM

Thanks.  Only problem will be the shear numbers when I implement a full database (at present only a small proportion of some 3000 files).  We will see when the time comes. 

You don't have to search your images with GPS data.
Just select all your images, rescan and you are done.

DigPeter

Quote from: BenAW on November 15, 2013, 07:32:16 PM
See this thread.
Excellent - thanks vey much, Ben.  Done the value filter and it works 8)