Update keyword panel - clarification...

Started by Aubrey, April 16, 2023, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I'm updating and reorganizing keywords.
I've made some hierarchical modifications of keywords in the categories panel.

The changes to keywords made in the categories panel are not reflected in the keywords window (F9 K).

In keywords window there is an option "Propagate hierarchical keywords again into flat keywords". 

I suspect this is what I need to do, however, I'm concerned that perhaps I'll lose my hierarchical keywords as set up in each image and I'll end up with flattened keywords in my images.

Would someone please clarify.

Thank you,
Aubrey.

Mario

Changes done do files in @Keywords are normally applied to the hierarchical keywords in your files.
See @Keywords vs. 'Regular' Categories for details.
Works, just checked. What exactly did you do in @Keywords?

The Keywords Panel shows hierarchical keywords.
The "Propagate hierarchical keywords again into flat keywords"  command does something entirely different and will be of no use to you. See Manually Propagating Keywords to learn what this command does and when you might have to use it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on April 16, 2023, 01:31:07 PMChanges done do files in @Keywords are normally applied to the hierarchical keywords in your files.

This worked correctly.

Went from:
Passports etc.

to 
Documents etc.
---Passports
---Driving Permit

The issue was that the keyword panel did not update.

I've since gone into Thesaurus, performed an update from database
Now the Keyword Panel has
"Documents etc." and subfolders

However "Passports etc." is still there. It appears that I need to manually remove this from the Thesaurus.

Thank you,
Aubrey.

Mario

QuoteHowever "Passports etc." is still there. It appears that I need to manually remove this from the Thesaurus.
Changing keywords in the Keyword Panel or via @Keywords has no impact on your thesaurus.
Only you can edit your thesaurus, adding, changing and removing keywords.
See Universal Thesaurus for more information.

QuoteThe issue was that the keyword panel did not update.
Not update when? Did you switch to another file and back?
This will cause the Keyword Panel to load the keywords of the file from the database.

Usually this is automatic when you change keywords somewhere outside the Keywords Panel, but who knows. Maybe a change was pending and not committed yet or something.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on April 16, 2023, 03:16:39 PMUsually this is automatic when you change keywords somewhere outside the Keywords Panel, but who knows. Maybe a change was pending and not committed yet or something.
"Usually this is automatic": This is the behavior I was expecting. I'll check again later do a metadata writeback etc. and determine if it does update. I'll report back...

Aubrey

I've made some checks...
In categories @keywords: added a hierarchiacal child "test" to keyword "2016" and moved a file from 2016 to test.

Opened Keyword panel (F9 K), test does not appear as a child of 2016.

See attached screen capture and debug log of IMatch session when test was created.

Note: I had earlier added a new @keywords category AAATest, this does not show up in the keywords panel.

thrinn

But the Keyword Panel does show the keyword - in the upper part of the panel, in orange? ~What|ABF|2016|test
This corresponds to you @Keywords hierarchy (at least the parts that are visible in the screenshot).

AAAtest does not appear anywhere in the Keywords panel because there are no files with this keyword.

Or do you mean the lower part of the panel? This part shows your Thesaurus which may or may not match the keywords in your files. I can only refer to the answer Mario has already given:

Quote from: Mario on April 16, 2023, 03:16:39 PMChanging keywords in the Keyword Panel or via @Keywords has no impact on your thesaurus.
Only you can edit your thesaurus, adding, changing and removing keywords.
Changing entries in the Thesaurus does not automatically change keywords in you files. Changing keywords in the files (either using the @Keywords category or the keyword panel) does not automatically change your Thesaurus!
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Aubrey

Hi Thorsten,
Thank you for your reply. I had not noticed the keyword appearing in orange.

I had already understood that changing keywords in thesaurus does not change keywords in a file, and vise versa

From the comments of you and Mario, I now understand that the lower sectionof keywords panel only reflects the thesaurus. If one adds a keyword here it is reflected in the thesaurus (when the add keywords to Thesaurus option is ticked).

It seems that adding a keyword through categories panel will never be reflected in the lower section of the keywords panel.

The only way to have a keyword that was entered using the categories panel to appear in the lower keyword panel will be to enter the thesaurus and then to perform update from database (or manually write the keyword into the lower panel).

(not sure what has happened to the font size in this reply?)

Mario

QuoteIt seems that adding a keyword through categories panel will never be reflected in the lower section of the keywords panel.
Correct. Adding keywords does not change your thesaurus (that would probably be a bad thing).
You can set the Keywords Panel to automatically add new keywords you enter there, but that option should be used with caution.

Your thesaurus should be a carefully curated controlled vocabulary. You add, remove or change it only with good reasons, one it has been set up and stabilized. From then on you only apply keywords from your thesaurus. This ensures good keyword quality, reliability and conformity, e.g. "Using the same keywords for the same things".

Changing the thesaurus does not update existing keywords in your files. It affects which keyword are available in the thesaurus section in the Keywords Panel and for the auto suggestions IMatch makes when you start typing in the Keywords Panel.

Quote(not sure what has happened to the font size in this reply?)
You control the font size via the little "A" icon in the toolbar above the post editor.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator