Questions about the Favorites Panel

Started by fincire, April 16, 2023, 10:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fincire

Hello,

The Favorites panel is better than ever with the addition of Automation favorites and the ability to add favorite buttons to the file window. Prior to these improvements I didn't take advantage of it as much as I should have. Now it's nearly indispensable to my workflow!

• For some reason, I can't drag program shortcuts to it. I have tried creating new shortcuts on the desktop, dragging items from the Start menu, dragging them from Explorer windows and/or the program folder; the mouse pointer changes to the circle-slash icon no matter what I do. Is this user error? I'd really like to put Photoshop and various other tools on there.
  • Related to this: I'm able to get most apps to work without dragging them using the External Tool option, and to open selected files (I looked at the Help doc and saw that {File.Fullname} needed to be included in the Variables field), but I'm unsure about other command-line arguments for certain programs. Are they standard? Is there a reference or guide to help me determine whether (and what) arguments might be needed for a particular program?
  • Finally, is it possible to use icons other than the defaults for Favorites? This is a minor thing, but I would like that ability. Not to be greedy, but I'd also love the ability to display more than one group of Favorites at a time (I know, it's not hard to just click the buttons along the top, but showing more than one Favorites group at a time would help with my rather odd workflow)

Thank you in advance!

Mario

QuoteI'd really like to put Photoshop and various other tools on there.
The only time IMatch refuses the drop is when you try to drop the wrong format (only .lnk files are supported) or when you try to drop into the Folder / Category tabs. Desktop shortcuts should work fine. Need more details.

Quotebut I'm unsure about other command-line arguments for certain programs. Are they standard? Is there a reference or guide to help me determine whether (and what) arguments might be needed for a particular program?
No standards, sorry. Each application does what it wants. Some don't support command line parameters at all, some support dozens. Depends on which application you use. Usually the documentation of the application should list and explain available command line parameters.

In many cases, running the application with a parameter like -h or --h or -help or --help  or -? lists available parameters. Give it a try.

QuoteFinally, is it possible to use icons other than the defaults for Favorites? 

IMatch 2023 allows you to set a custom icon/image by specifying an external image to use.

Quotebut I'd also love the ability to display more than one group of Favorites at a time 
Since each group can contain an unlimited number of applications and the majority of users participating in telemetry has 10 or less favorites, I don't see a need for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

fincire

QuoteThe only time IMatch refuses the drop is when you try to drop the wrong format (only .lnk files are supported) or when you try to drop into the Folder / Category tabs. Desktop shortcuts should work fine. Need more details.

I create a shortcut by right-click/dragging the executable (Photoshop in this case) onto the desktop and selecting "Create Shortcut Here." It is an .ink file (see screenshot below). No matter what Favorites set I try to drag it into, the mouse cursor changes to a circle-slash 🚫 and the shortcut doesn't become a favorite. I've attempted the same thing with several shortcuts from several apps, shortcuts I created myself, shortcuts that came with the application's install, shortcuts from the Start menu, shortcuts I manually created using right-click > New > Shortcut, and everything else I can think of.

Mario

I have a favorite shortcut for Photoshop myself, so this works in principle.
Unless you try to drop into one of the system favorite tabs (Folder/Category) I see no reason why this should not work.
The favorite panel checks the name of the file you drag and when it different than .lnk the drop is not allowed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

David_H

Quote from: fincire on April 17, 2023, 10:53:37 AM
QuoteThe only time IMatch refuses the drop is when you try to drop the wrong format (only .lnk files are supported) or when you try to drop into the Folder / Category tabs. Desktop shortcuts should work fine. Need more details.

I create a shortcut by right-click/dragging the executable (Photoshop in this case) onto the desktop and selecting "Create Shortcut Here." It is an .ink file (see screenshot below). No matter what Favorites set I try to drag it into, the mouse cursor changes to a circle-slash 🚫 and the shortcut doesn't become a favorite. I've attempted the same thing with several shortcuts from several apps, shortcuts I created myself, shortcuts that came with the application's install, shortcuts from the Start menu, shortcuts I manually created using right-click > New > Shortcut, and everything else I can think of.

You've created a shortcut to the FOLDER for Photoshop - the target type should be "Application" not "File Folder".

Also make sure you're not running IMatch as Administrator; windows will prevent dragging things from low privilege processes (File explorer) by default.

Mario

@David_H: Good catch! Did not see that.
This is how an Application shortcut looks like:

Image1.jpg
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator