Misc Questions about Moving images, filter and batch update

Started by Lana, May 23, 2023, 08:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lana

Hi everyone, 

I have a few questions about miscellaneous topics:

• When I move images from one folder to another, how do I stop the folders from "moving" up and down and all around. I just want the folders to stay frozen as I move my mouse.
  • When looking at Media and Folders, how do I filter images by File Format so I am only viewing jpg's for examples in a specific folder.
  • Is it possible to batch change the metadata to only change the date on a group of pictures, but not the time. I forgot to change the time zone during my trip to Italy, so all the photos I took are a day off.

I appreciate your help with these questions, thank you!

Mario

1. When you drag folders or files near the top/bottom of the Media & Folder tree control it will start to scroll vertically so you can drop objects on folders not currently visible. This is the intended reaction.
When the folder on which you drop is inside the visible area, IMatch will not scroll the tree.

a) File Window Search bar, search for .jpg
See Finding Files: The Search Bar

b) File Format filter in the The Filter Panel

c) Value Filter on File.Extension tag.
This works but is rarely used.

3. You can do that easily with the The Time Wiz
Select the images with the problem in a File Window, start TimeWiz from the App Manager or Command menu > Images and add or subtract one day. See the Time Wiz help for all details.

Tip: I just searched for time and then for date in the IMatch Help System and the Time Wizard was the first or second suggestion.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lana

Thank you Mario!

1 - For some reason I thought there was a way to do this.  Thinking about it, I guess I really don't want it to freeze, but not move so fast.  Once I get my mouse outside a visible folder, the folders tend to move up and down so fast I lose my place.  So really, I want it to slow down, not freeze.  I think I just need to be in better control of the mouse.  :)
But thanks for clarifying, it makes sense.

2 - Thank you!  For some reason I kept putting an asterisk for a wildcard when searching for jpg's (*.jpg) and it wasn't working.  I thought I was doing something wrong.  Oops.  Now I know I just need to type jpg without the wildcard.  Thanks, I should have known this.

3 - And thank you for pointing out the Time Wiz.  This worked great! 

Thank you again - I appreciate your help.

Mario

1. The scrolling is what's called ballistic. The farther you move the cursor outside the window, the faster it will scroll (within reason).
If this irritates you or does not work well with your device, use Copy & Paste instead of dragging:

+ Select the files in a File Window and press <Ctrl>+<C> (or <Ctrl>+<X> when you want to move the files)
+ Select the target folder
+ Click into the File Window and press <Ctrl>+<V>

See: File Management in IMatch

2. See Finding Files: The Search Bar for info on how to search, how to tell IMatch where to search, how to search using Boolean expressions AND, OR, NOT and how to use regular expressions to do awesome searches.

3. Awesome.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook