Add TimeZone to CreateDate and DateSubjectCreated by WebService

Started by axel.hennig, May 27, 2023, 09:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axel.hennig

Coming from this post.

I would like to have a feature (mybe integrated in "Revers Geocoding" or in "Time Wiz") that adds the TimeZone (e.g. +02:00) of the location the image was taken to CreateDate and DateSubjectCreated.

axel.hennig

Forgot to mention: This could be achieved by Google (paid) or HERE (paid), but also by GeoNames (free, but limited AIP requests per free-user per hour and per day). BUT: Could be also done via TimeZoneDB (free) with the advantage, that there is no limit in the number of API requests (but just one request per second).

PandDLong

Great idea - and as it seems to be an available web-service it looks possible.

Would save a step for me.

mastodon

Mario

QuoteBUT: Could be also done via TimeZoneDB (free) with the advantage, that there is no limit in the number of API requests (but just one request per second).
With one request per second, IMatch would need about 2 minutes to process 100 files...

Adding TimeZoneDB to IMatch would probably would violate the fair use policies of a volunteer-driven service like TimeZoneDB. They have a paid service for good reasons. I'm not sure that it would be ethical to just hard-code TimeZoneDB into IMatch.
I would have to ask them, as a first step.

Quote from: mastodon on July 04, 2023, 07:15:57 AMYes, this time zone problem get me mad.
It is very easy and quick to change / set a time-zone with the IMatch TimeWiz.
Select the files with <Ctrl>+<A>, run TimeWiz from the Command Palette, apply new time zone, done. 5 seconds, tops.

Of course if your folders contain files from different time zones, selecting will be more cumbersome.
But I wonder how common is that?

@users: Let me know or like this request.
Also tell me if you would want to pay for a commercial service without the limits and restrictions of the TimeZone DB's free API? TimeZoneDB offers a paid and unlimited service for 5US$ per month. Google, HERE etc. as usual offer 1,000 requests for a few cents. Or for free, if you don't exceed your free monthly quota.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on July 04, 2023, 10:30:24 AM@users: Let me know or like this request.
My cameras going back over a decade have allowed setting the time zone (as long as I remember to set it), so this isn't something I need. But some others obviously have a need. 
John

axel.hennig

I wrote this FR, but due to the fact that there was no reply for over a month I wrote a small app that request that info for the selected file.

I would not need the feature in the first post anymore, because I'm doing it right now as Mario suggested (TimeWiz).