Statistics App - Largest Folders - Customization

Started by Mike, May 26, 2023, 11:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

It would be helpful to be able to define more specifically in the app which location we need and maybe also how we would like the comparison to be, e.g.:

1. Change the definition of "largest" as needed: a) Large in terms of file size and b) Large in terms of the number of files contained.

2. Define comparison location: a) In the entire database as currently or b) In a specific and easily definable folder. In other words, "what are the largest subfolders of a given folder?".

3. Reverse the results: Find the opposite, i.e. the smallest folders in a given location.

Mario

1. I can add a new "By File Count" chart. Quick to do.

2., 3.: This would require substantial changes. Looking at the number of users of this app in telemetry (less than a handful in the best month) I doubt this is justified. Let's see how many Likes your FR gets.

Tip: You can see the number of files in sub-folders in the Media & Folders tree.
Via the Media & Folders options (Gear Icon in the toolbar) you can switch to make it show the total size instead.

If you know some JavaScript and HTML, the Statistics app is included as commented source code in IMatch.
You can duplicate it and make changes as needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mike

Quote from: Mario on May 26, 2023, 04:30:17 PM1. I can add a new "By File Count" chart. Quick to do
Great!

Quote from: Mario on May 26, 2023, 04:30:17 PMTip: You can see the number of files in sub-folders in the Media & Folders tree.
This is my default and very useful for me. It would be even better, when I would be able to kind of filter the folder by the number of files (an why not, also by the files size). It could be something like: "display only folder with more/less than X files". Filtering would be MUCH quicker than just looking at the tree, because I have a huge amout of folders.

Quote from: Mario on May 26, 2023, 04:30:17 PMVia the Media & Folders options (Gear Icon in the toolbar) you can switch to make it show the total size instead.
I had completely forgotten that. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote from: Mario on May 26, 2023, 04:30:17 PMIf you know some JavaScript and HTML, the Statistics app is included as commented source code in IMatch.
You can duplicate it and make changes as needed.
I'll try that when I get a chance.

Mike

Quote from: Mario on May 26, 2023, 04:30:17 PMLooking at the number of users of this app in telemetry (less than a handful in the best month) I doubt this is justified.
The number of users in the telemetry only says that something is only used a little, but not what the reason is. If something isn't good enough, it definitely won't be used often. For example, the inability to define the main folder for the analysis makes me almost never use the app, although I would be very interested in more precise results.

Further thoughts on the same main proposal

From a statistical and simplified point of view, there are usually three types of relevant folder sizes:

1. Average sized normal folders (these don't worry us too much)
2. Larger than average folders.
3. Above average small folders.

In the more extreme cases 2 and 3, there is a possibility, that there is a reason behind it, that requires action. Therefore, I would like to easily identify these folders.

In this context I think that it doesn't necessarily matter, which are the "50" largest/smallest folders, but rather which folders deviate so much from the average size, that they should be looked at more closely. It could be as few as two or as many as 200. Their number should not be predetermined, but rather the degree of deviation from the norm.

What the average or normal size range falls between, could either be statistically calculated by iMatch, or we would enter that manually.