Globe Overlay for Images with GPS data get's lost sometimes

Started by banzai, June 19, 2023, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banzai

Hi there,

have a look a the attached screenshot:
- three of the images displayed have no globe icon showing that they have GPS data.
- but the opened metadata panel shows that they have GPS data.
- I'm not completely sure which step in my workflow did cause this (some minutes before the icon was there)
- But the color coding shows that these images have been touched by a change in my thesaurus ("Modified by Thesaurus" collection). Perhaps this is related, but it's just an assumption.

2023-06-19 21_16_34-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.png

Ciao,      banzai

Mario

Is this persistent?
Close and re-open the database and the globes are still not showing?

If a file has GPS data or not is stored as part of the file record. This GPS flat is set or removed by IMatch during operations that modify GPS coordinates. Importing files. Assigning or changing a GPS coordinate in the Map or MD panel etc.
Nothing has changed with this between IMatch 2021 and 2023 so this has to be some side effect...
Can you recall what you did before this happened?

When this is persistent, what happens when you change the lat or lon of the file slightly in the MD panel. Does the globe come back?

Does this only affect files with metadata modified due to thesaurus changes?
Because this step only modifies keywords, but no other metadata. So I wonder...

How to you add GPS coordinates to your files?
Camera? Map Panel? Metadata Template? Locations?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

banzai

QuoteIs this persistent?
Close and re-open the database and the globes are still not showing?
Yes, the problem sursives re-opening the database, globes are still missing.
But I know one way to fix it: metadata write back. After metadata has been written, the globes are back.

QuoteNothing has changed with this between IMatch 2021 and 2023 so this has to be some side effect...
Well, I think (not completely sure though) that I had the problem already with 2021, but I never knew how to reproduce it, so I didn't report it.
Now I can reproduce it:
- Select some JPGs with GPS data, assign a keyword, commit Keyword change.
- Go to thesaurus, move keyword to some other branch, let IMatch update all files.
- Globe is gone.

QuoteCan you recall what you did before this happened?
I guess there are more ways to reproduce this, cause the Thesaurus update didn't exist in 2021, but as described, this is at least one possibility and currently the only one I can confirm.

QuoteHow to you add GPS coordinates to your files?
With all the old files I'm currently working with, it's always and only the Map Panel (using Google Maps).

Mario

I will try to reproduce this here tomorrow.
I've already added an extra check and fix to the diagnosis to find files which have lat/lon but not the flag set that makes the globe icon show up.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I could reproduce the issue and the GPS flat is indeed accidentally reset when the thesaurus updates keywords in the database.
This was caused by an unwanted side effect of the thesaurus trying to optimize performance by only loading a minimum of metadata for each file.

I have fixed this for IMatch 2023.10 and also included a new diagnosis step which identifies this situation and fixes problems by setting the GPS flag again for affected files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

thrinn

How many other software products do you know where you can report a bug and get not only an answer, but a replay about a fix two days later?

Just saying... 8)
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

banzai

Yep, the support from Mario is excellent and an outstanding feature of IMatch!
My gf wanted to convince me of ACDSee but apart from missing features that I have in IMatch, this board here makes me stick with IMatch  :)

sinus

Quote from: banzai on June 21, 2023, 10:36:38 PMYep, the support from Mario is excellent and an outstanding feature of IMatch!
My gf wanted to convince me of ACDSee but apart from missing features that I have in IMatch, this board here makes me stick with IMatch  :)

Cool.You did a wise decision. 
Although sometimes it is good to hear on a gf, in this case she is wrong for sure.  ;)
My 2cents. 
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus