Categories Viewer, Filter and visibility

Started by Gerd, November 20, 2013, 11:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Hi,

is there a possibility to get only that categories in the Categories Viewer visible, that contain files that matches to a filter?

I set the filter to show only pics from a directory node Canon\40D\, but in the Categories Viewer I see all categories, also that ones, that does not contain pics made by the Canon 40D, seee screenshot.

Has anybody an idea to solve this, like supress empty categories, to suppress non-matching categories?

[attachment deleted by admin]
_______
Regards
Gerd

JohnZeman

Can you say your question in a different way Gerd?  I'm not understanding what you are asking us.

Gerd

Hi John,

I have pics made with my EOS40D and they are all located in an own directory tree CANON\40D\....

The other pics are located in a different tree structure CANON\EOS\...

If I look now in IM5 in the Categories View, where I have a category Locations-Lozer Heide, then this category contains 35 pics made only with my EOS7D.

If I now set the filter for directories to use only pics from the tree CANON\40D, then you still see in the Categories View the category Lozer Heide with 35 pics, but due to the filter for the 40D no pics are visible in this category ...

I want to suppress the category in this case or display it in a different color or show a count of 0.
_______
Regards
Gerd

JohnZeman

I guess my brain isn't working real well right now Gerd because I'm still having trouble understanding what you want to do.  It sounds like your filter isn't set up right though.

For what it's worth, I have special formula categories set up that represent each one of my database folders (directories).  This makes it easy for me to see in category view, only the images in one specific filter.  And in category view if I want to see the images from two different folders, I use the category builder instead of the filter.

JohnZeman

Wait a minute.  Are you talking about the categories on the left side of your screen shot?  If so, the answer is no, the category tree always shows all of the categories, the filter is only applied to the file window which is the right side of your screen shot.

Gerd

... I have thouhg so ...  :(

... but I found another way: left side I select the directories and right side I select the categories and in a second panel the current categories. The file-viewer is set to all levels and show no hierarchy. The only thing I have to do, to click on a pic, to see to which categories it belongs. That's necessary, because I need a time sorting and when you use no hierarchy and you scroll, you do not see, where you are exact ...

_______
Regards
Gerd

JohnZeman

Gerd what I said last time isn't quite right.  Using the Category Filter you can show only the categories that match your filter, but that's only for showing the categories, not the files. 

In other words to only see certain categories in the category view, use the category filter. 

To only see certain files in any view, use the filter panel.

Gerd

Hi John,

I use the filter-panel, but the result is only visible in the middle of the screen, in the Viewer-area. The filter-result has no effect on the visibility of categories or folders. There is nothing, that you can specify: show only folders or categories, that contain files matching the filter result ... I think, this wish is too complex ... May be sometime a script can be used to give these folders/categories a different color, but that's for the future.
_______
Regards
Gerd

JohnZeman

Yes, the Filter Panel only works with the middle, which is called the File Window.  To only see certain categories on the left side in the category tree use the category filter (see attached screen shot).

I use the category filter to find a category or categories I want.  If you want to see the files in 2 or more categories, use the category builder to temporarily combine the files of more than one category.  Then if you want to filter the images you see in the file window (middle) use the filter panel.

[attachment deleted by admin]