Speeding up work in the viewer and metadata panels

Started by Pawel, August 25, 2023, 01:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawel

What can I do to speed up work (like rating, metadata input and assigning photos to categories) in the viewer and metadata panels? Despite switching background indexing and automatic face recognition off there are still breaks and stops or UI refreshes when I rate photos or input data in the metadata panel. Is there a setting or switch I could use to switch off IMatch background operations globally to concentrate on data input?

Mario

Create a log file in debug logging mode (see log file) from an IMatch session where this happens. ZIP and attach.

Which virus checker are you using?
Did you configure an exception for the folder containing your IMatch database and for the IMatch executable?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ger

If it's about applying labels or rating series of images in the File Window, ensure you don't have active filters applied. I sometimes notice a slower skipping to the next image with filters applied.

My workaround is pretty simple: I create the filter with the images i want to review and hit Ctrl-G,R to copy the selection in a result window - i then work from that window, without filter.

ger

Mario

When filters are applied and you cause a change in the database that affects the result of the filters, IMatch has to re-run the filters and reload the File Window with the new filter result.
Depending on the filter, the number of files in the File Window, the database size, computer performance etc. this may cause a more or less noticeable delay.

Moving the selection into a temporary Result Window solves this issue neatly.
The Result Window is independent from the filter and does not need to reload when your actions change the data base of the filter.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Pawel

I use Windows Defender only and I've made sure to add all the Exceptions I could think of - for the folder with photos, the IMatch process and all related executables. 
I don`t have any filters enabled and work on photos manually added to a pin or dot collection. I didn't know the trick with a temporary Result Window though - I will try that and if nothing changes I will send the debug log.