Beginners question to work with GPX files and reverse geocoding

Started by nordkapp, November 02, 2023, 10:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordkapp

In the last few days I have been working a lot on assigning GPS data to my pictures. I've often had a GPS tracker with me over the last few years, but I've never done anything with the data.

I've read a lot in the help and in the forum and the tagging works well. I have already tagged several thousand pictures with GPS data

However, I have now realised the following, which I don't understand. First I load the track, adjust the settings and mark all the pictures I want to tag. Then I assign the positions to the tagged images. Now a marker is displayed for each image in the map window. Then I mark all the images again and tag them in reverse. After writing back the metadata, I now have a circle with a 2 instead of a marker for each image. If I select two images at the same location, there is a 4.

If I display the metadata for an image directly after I have assigned the data from the track, the fields
{File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSLatitude\GPSLatitude\0} or {File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSLatitude\GPSLatitude\0}

{File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSLongitude\GPSLongitude\0} or
{File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSLongitude\GPSLongitude\0}

are filled.

After I have done the reverse tagging, the fields
{File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSDestLatitude\GPSDestLatitude\0}
{File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSDestLongitude\GPSDestLongitude\0}
{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryCode\LocationShownCountryCode\0}
{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName\LocationShownCountryName\0}
{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCity\LocationShownCity\0}

filled.

However, all fields under location created are empty.

As it looks to me, the data from the gpx track is written to the created GPS fields and the fields from the reverse tagging are placed in the shown/destination fields.

What is the point behind this? Or is it an error? I am using version 2023.3.6

Personally, I want to keep it simple and only use the created fields, because my tracker doesn't know where my camera is pointing. I also don't want to go to the trouble of tagging what can be seen in the photo.
(I have seen that there is another thread on the created/shown topic right now)

nordkapp

I think I just found the answer for the created/show case in the mentioned other thread

QuoteFor a long time, IMatch sets the location shown location data from the created coordinates, copying the coordinates when you use the Map Panel and reverse geocoding, unless there is also a location shown coordinate. This is in accordance with the IPTC/MWG recommendations to prefer shown for 'user-set' coordinates. This causes the created coordinates to become part of IPTCExit::LocationShown, which causes confusion. Unless the user also adds a destination coordinate pair, which sets everything straight.

The only remaining question is why a 2 for one image appears on the map after the reverse tagging.

thrinn

Quote from: nordkapp on November 02, 2023, 10:59:23 PMThe only remaining question is why a 2 for one image appears on the map after the reverse tagging.
First guess: Do you have a file relation rule in place? Maybe you geocode a master, and this information is then propagated to a version during write-back?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

nordkapp

I have set up a relationship rule that relates the RAWs to the JPG, TIF and PSD but there is not a single checkbox ticked so nothing is transferred. I can only see from the thumbnail overlays that there is a developed version to the raw.

And there is no other file for the RAWs in question. It happens directly after reverse tagging.

I have also tested writing back the metadata from the after tagging .gpx file. Afterwards, only the marker is still visible. Only after the reverse tagging and the subsequent writing back does the circle with the 2

I had the assumption that the "location created" was counted once and the "location shown" once. So together it is two.

nordkapp

QuoteI had the assumption that the "location created" was counted once and the "location shown" once. So together it is two.
That seems to be the reason. If I manually delete the GPS destination coordinates in the metadata panel and then write them back, the 2 disappears and the marker is displayed again.

Is this an intentional behaviour or is it just in my setup?

Mario

Please use the new configuration file in the corresponding open bug report:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13700.msg96618/topicseen.html#msg96618
Search for immbcfg.zip  on that page (Ctrl+F) to find the updated configuration file and instructions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nordkapp

Thank you Mario. I have used the configuration file from the thread mentioned. Unfortunately the result is still the same. The 2 appears as soon as I load the metadata from geonames.org via the globe, even before writing back. Writing back does not change anything

It's not so important to me right now, I can wait until you make a decision from the thread
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?msg=96548
I think I'll have to adjust my metadata for all tagged files anyway

but I can do further testing if it helps or provide additional information