Migration Path from 2020 to 2023

Started by PaulS, July 04, 2023, 12:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulS

I am still running 2020.14.2 and haven't used IMatch much over the last few years.  I bought an upgrade from IMatch 2020 to 2021, but never actually installed it as there were some migration topics that I wasn't prepared to address at the time.

But I need to get caught up and am looking for quick advice.  Should I migrate directly from 2020.14.2 to the latest version of 2023 or first migrate to 2021 and then to 2023?

Of course, I am reading all of the release notes to make sure the migration goes smoothly, but would also appreciate input on any potential gotchas to look out from from upgrade experiences of other users.

BTW, I've noticed that the release notes between IMatch 2020.12.6 and 2021.8.2 seem to be missing.

Mario

First to 2021. Run it once, open all your databases once.
Then install IMatch 2023.

2020.12.6 was the last version of IMatch 2020.
2021.8.2 was the first version of IMatch 2021.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PaulS

Thanks Mario for the advice on the migration.

Regarding the versions, About IMatch  shows "2020.14.2 (64-bit) Licensed Version".  I can also see this version in the Customer Portal for retired products.

But what's important for me anyway is that all release notes are present for 2021 and 2023.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Mario

2020 is a long retired product and has been archived and is out of support for more than two years.
Some release notes for it might be missing, others for 2020 might go as soon as I remember to retire them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

LG

.....The missing components are installed when you run the IMatch installer. You probably backed up the IMatch program folder only, missing all the components that must be installed in the Windows system folder.
>>>Question: What are "the components that must be installed in the Windows system folder?"

.....download the installer for your version of IMatch. I think it should still be online, at the bottom in the archived/retired product section.
>>>Question: Where do I find the "archived/retired product section?"

Thank you.
LG

Mario

Quote from: LG on September 18, 2023, 02:31:42 AM.....The missing components are installed when you run the IMatch installer. You probably backed up the IMatch program folder only, missing all the components that must be installed in the Windows system folder.
>>>Question: What are "the components that must be installed in the Windows system folder?"

.....download the installer for your version of IMatch. I think it should still be online, at the bottom in the archived/retired product section.
>>>Question: Where do I find the "archived/retired product section?"
Is this a reply to email I've sent to you yesterday? It seems like.
I've included a link to the photools.com customer portal where you can download IMatch installers.

There is about a dozen components and runtime DLLs that need to be installed in the Windows folder, depending on the IMatch version and the Windows version. This is why IMatch comes with an installer that takes care for all this.

When you are still using IMatch 3: This product is retired for 10 years and there is no support available anymore.
IMatch 3 was never tested on Windows 10 or Windows 11 and it might run or not or cause all sorts of issues. Consider upgrading to the current IMatch product line.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator