background scan problems

Started by timoteo, September 19, 2023, 06:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timoteo

I'm using Capture One as a photo editor. I edit a photo and when satisified, i export it with the suffix "-V'. My photos are named after U.S. states, for example "TX-2017-02-11 18.22.49" and the exported version is named TX-2017-02-11 18.22.49-V".

I have an imatch folder named "Texas" with 20,518 photos in it now. As I go through this folder, I stack some of the images - usually a raw file stacked with teh exported jpg "-V" file on top. I had exported most of these "-V" files months ago from C1 but as I go through imatch this way i still find some files taht have been edited in C1 that have not been exported. So I go into C1, find the photo, and export it.

The problem is that this export does not seem to trigger the background scan of this folder, or if the background scan is automatic, it doesn't see this file I just exported. I exported the file named above before dinner and when I came back after dinner and a movie, my newly exported file still didn't show up in imatch. What seems strange, to me anyway, is that I found a couple of these "-V" files on backup storage and copied them to the Texas and they showed up in imatch almost immediately without my forcing a rescan.

In order for my newly exported file to show up in imatch I have to rescan the entire Texas folder.

I have attached a screen capture of my imatch background processing settings.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have this setup incorrectly? Could it be in any way related to the file name (which contains a space and a hyphen) or is that irrelevant?

Mario

When IMatch gets a notification from Windows about a folder having been changed, it waits for a couple of seconds and then rescans the folders. This is logged to the log file with AddOrUpdateFolder and AddOrUpdateFile entries.

You did not include the log file from that IMatch session so there is no chance to analyze this.
You are using the default settings for automatic folder updates, so this should just work.

Switch IMatch to debug logging (Help menu > Support ...) and then repeat this test.
After C1 has saved the file and unlocked it, IMatch should show a blue "refresh" icon for the folder and perform the rescan to bring in new and updated files.
If C1 keeps the file locked, IMatch will be unable to access it. But then we'll see that also in the log file.

Wait for a 2 or 3 minutes and then make a copy of the log file via Help menu > Support > ....
ZIP the file and attach to your reply.

This will show us what IMatch is doing, which version of IMatch you use, if IMatch receives notification about folder changes from Windows, if there are any problems etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

timoteo

>>> If C1 keeps the file locked, IMatch will be unable to access it. But then we'll see that also in the log file.

great suggestion! I never thought about that. I have seen C1 keep files locked long after I'm done with them.

I will enable debug logging in imatch, verify whether C1 is keeping my files locked after they are exported, and follow the rest of what you suggested and will post a reply in a few days. 

timoteo

I edited file "TX-2017-03-26 15.13.05" in C1 and exported it to disk as "TX-2017-03-26 15.13.05-V". I checked to see if Windows File Manager could see it and it is physically on the drive. I waited about ten minutes while I did some other things then checked my imatch main thumbnail window and my file had not been displayed. I tried to delete my "-V" file to see if C1 had it locked and I was able to delete it, so C1 must not have it locked or Windows would have refused to have deleted it and would have displayed an error message.

Attached is the zipped up imatch log file.

Mario

The only unusual thing I see in the log is that when IMatch starts, the memory (RAM) on your system is already almost used up.
IMatch reports that 82% of thee system memory are in use when it starts. Some other applications seem to use a lot of memory.

I don't see an log entries for the IMatch folder monitor task that runs in the background and responds to file system events from Windows ("folder modified", "file added", "file modifiesd"...).
When Windows broadcast events and IMatch starts to scan a folder for new or updated files, it logs "EngineFolderScanner: Pending Folder" with the name of the modified folder. 
But not in this log file, which indicates that IMatch has not received any notification. Or the change was done in a folder not indexed by the database

Open to Edit menu > Preferences > Background Processing.
Make sure the option "Import new an updated files automatically" is enabled.

You can test if this works easily.
In a File Window, select a file and then right-click to open the context menu. Execute the "Open in Windows Explorer" command.
In Windows Explorer,. use Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to duplicate the file.

After a few seconds, the folder in IMatch will show the blue "rescan" icon and shortly afterwards, the new file will show up in the File Window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

timoteo

>>> The only unusual thing I see in the log is that when IMatch starts, the memory (RAM) on your system is already almost used up.

C1 is using my around 1GB of memory and my internet browser uses up another 1/2 GB. Everything else is various stuff is all part of Windows. It seems like Windows has been putting on weight over the years.

>>> Make sure the option "Import new an updated files automatically" is enabled.

This is set correctly.

>>> In a File Window, select a file and then right-click to open the context menu. Execute the "Open in Windows Explorer" command.
In Windows Explorer,. use Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to duplicate the file.

Did that, new "-copy" file showed up in imatch as expected.