@Keywords, Keywords panel, Thesaurus

Started by Lucio.B, October 17, 2023, 11:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio.B

There is a difference between the kewords present in @Keywords and the keywords in the keywords panel and in the thesaurus. How can i reflect what is in @Kewords with what is in the keywords panel?
Before I could edit the keywords from the keyword panel adding child keywords simply pressing the <Ins> key and it reflected the modification in the @Keyword category. Now it doesn't function anymore.
Am I missing something or did I mess up something?
Thanks.

Mario

@Keywords is a data-driven category that is dynamically build from the keywords in your files.
Its main purpose is to automatically organize your files by the keywords they contain.

The main feature to add, modify and delete keywords is the Keywords Panel.
When you add a new keyword to a file in the Keywords Panel, the file will show up in the corresponding @Keywords category.
If you remove a keyword from a file, the file will also be removed from the corresponding @Keywords category.

@Keywords has some advanced features for dealing with typical keyword bulk operations or corrections. You usually don't manually create child categories under @Keywords. See The @Keywords Category in the IMatch Help System.

The Thesaurus enables you to create controlled vocabularies for all tags, including keywords.
Setting up a hierarchy of your frequently used (and often domain-specific) is recommended. The thesaurus supports synonyms and the very powerful and IMatch-unique keyword links.

The Keywords Panel gives you direct access to the keywords you have added to the thesaurus. It uses the thesaurus for auto-suggestions while you type in the Keywords Panel, you can select keywords from the thesaurus directly from the Thesaurus Panel in the Keywords Panel etc.

Having a well-maintained thesaurus is a massive time saver for adding keywords to files. It also avoids typical errors, like using different keywords to describe the same "thing", which often leads to bad consistency and makes searching for files by keywords much harder.

You say you pressed the <Ins> key in @Keywords.
<Ins> allows you to add new child categories to @Keywords, but it does nothing else. You need to actively assign files to that new category to add the corresponding keywords.

I would not use @Keywords that way. You're much faster adding keywords in the Keywords Panel.
When you want to add new keywords you plan to use in the future, add them to the Thesaurus. Once you assign one of the keywords to files, these files show up in @Keywords automatically.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

Quote from: Lucio.B on October 17, 2023, 11:23:09 AMBefore I could edit the keywords from the keyword panel adding child keywords simply pressing the <Ins> key and it reflected the modification in the @Keyword category. Now it doesn't function anymore.

Quote from: Mario on October 17, 2023, 03:39:13 PMYou say you pressed the <Ins> key in @Keywords.
<Ins> allows you to add new child categories to @Keywords, but it does nothing else. You need to actively assign files to that new category to add the corresponding keywords.

Or does this refer to pressing the <Ins> key, with the Keyword Panel's Editor field either maximized (showing all Keywords to be edited as a string), or with a single existing Keyword selected in it, and then entering/inserting (i.e. keying in) an additional child level into that existing Keyword?...

--Tony

Mario

QuoteBefore I could edit the keywords from the keyword panel adding child keywords simply pressing the <Ins> key and it reflected the modification in the @Keyword category. Now it doesn't function anymore.
I think he means he could press <Ins> to add new keywords to the thesaurus, directly in the Keywords Panel.
This feature was removed in IMatch 2023, when the new Thesaurus came out that can re-arrange existing keywords in the database. This is documented in release note #1852.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook