Person favorite - how to

Started by nordkapp, November 03, 2023, 10:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordkapp

Can someone tell me how I can create a person favourite. In the help I have only found what I can do with such a favourite. However, I am unable to create such a favourite. I can drag and drop a person into the favourites panel, a plus sign appears, but when I drop it a beep sounds and nothing happens. I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I can't figure it out. Thank you very much.

Mario

Switch to the People View.
Select the Person.
Drag it into the Favorites Panel.

See: Person Favorites
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nordkapp

That's exactly what I did. But unfortunately there is only a beep sound. No message and the person is not in the favorites. I also created a new, empty set of favorites, but that didn't work either.

Mario

Besides dropping a wrong object or on the wrong fav tab, the only reason for a beep when dropping a person is when the label property of that person is empty. Favorites derive their name from the person's label.
Make sure the label of the person is not empty. By default, the full name is used. See Person Label
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nordkapp

I cannot drag any of the people I have created so far into the favorites panel.

I have just switched on the debug mode, but no new entry is made in the log file after dragging.

By the label property do you mean the "Tag" in German? This is automatically filled when a person is created.

What is the wrong Fav tab? Is there a special one for people? I don't have one. I only have directory history, category history and a general fav tab. A newly created tab does not work either.

thrinn

Quote from: nordkapp on November 04, 2023, 09:06:35 PMI cannot drag any of the people I have created so far into the favorites panel.
Hm, I am also not able to drag a person to the Favorite panel. While dragging, the mouse pointer changes to a marquee rectangle with a small plus sign, which indicates that it should be able to drag it to the favorites, but when I release the mouse button, nothing happens (except a beep).

Quote from: nordkapp on November 04, 2023, 09:06:35 PMBy the label property do you mean the "Tag" in German? This is automatically filled when a person is created.
At least by default. You can change what property is used in Preferences > Application > Face Annotations if "Show extended settings" is checked, but as far as I remember, Tag is the default.
2023-11-04 22_34_02-Preferences.jpg

Quote from: nordkapp on November 04, 2023, 09:06:35 PMWhat is the wrong Fav tab?
I assume Mario means the "Folder History" and "Category History" tabs which are filled automatically and thus can not be used for creating your own fevorites.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

nordkapp

Thanks Thorsten, then I'm reassured that it's not just me. 

Mario

Any tab except the "folder history" and "category history" will do.

If the person property configured as the "label" (see screen shot above) is empty or missing, the drop will not succeed.
What do you use as the label property? I've tried "Tag" and "Full Name" successfully.

There is not really much that can go wrong here.
On drop, IMatch checks if the property configured as the label in the settings exists and is not empty and if that's the case, the favorite is created. If the property is empty, a beep sound is made instead.

Can you drag and drop Events from the Event View?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

nordkapp

I haven't used any events so far. However, I still have three events that I created years ago as a test. I can drag these into the favorites panel without any problems. The mouse cursor looks exactly the same as when I drag a person there.

I am attaching a screenshot of my settings and of a person. Everything looks correct to me. I can't remember changing anything in the settings.

Mario

Your settings look OK. Tag is the default label.
I have no issues with created Person favorites using either Tag or Full Name as the label.
Only when I set the Full Name to empty (when it is used as the label) I get a beep when dropping.

I have changed the code to fall-back to the tag if the label property is empty. Just in case.
Should not make a difference in your case since you are already using the tag. Did you try Full Name?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

nordkapp

If I switch to Full name, it works. If I then go back to Tag, the sound comes back. 

nordkapp

If I switch to short name, it also works - but: the short name is empty and I am shown a favorite without text. So something works that you had actually ruled out, using an empty field

Mario

I have already added a check for an existing but empty property as well.
IMatch uses the tag as the fallback.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator