Not all controls removed from File Window Ribbon are moved to Hamburger Menu

Started by Tveloso, November 18, 2023, 05:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tveloso

I use a laptop exclusively, but most of the time with an external monitor connected.  I also occasionally work with IMatch on the laptop by itself (away from the monitor).

Today, while using IMatch on the laptop alone, I had occasion to use the File Window Search bar, but wanted to change where to search, and to toggle to search the entire database.  Because I was working on my laptop, those two controls were not visible.  But when I looked for them in the Hamburger Menu, they were not there either:

Screenshot_2023-11-17_224109.png

With my external monitor plugged in, the Ribbon of course shows all the controls:

Screenshot_2023-11-17_224301.png

Perhaps because the File Window Ribbon is still an experimental feature, Mario has not yet fully implemented the "move to menu" functionality for all controls that must be removed due to Window size changes.  But I thought I should mention it just in case it's an unintended behavior.
--Tony

ubacher

While we are discussing what should show and what not when the ribbon icons won't fit:

The favorites icons: The purpose of these is to have an always visible - one click functionality. If these icons (some of them)
move to the hamburger menu then this one click functionality is lost because it is not always (depends on screen layout) available. 
Rather than start arguments what icons should move when space is limited I am campaining for having the ribbon wrap!

Mario

The ribbon currently does not support moving drop-down buttons with menus into the hamburger menu.
When all collapsible items have been collapsed and all items that can move to the menu have been moved and there is still no room, the elements become invisible.

You are combining (what it looks like) a quite large (high) ribbon with a very small screen resolution. I don't know if you can reduce the height of the ribbon a bit more (which reduces the width of the buttons , too). Edit > Preferences > Application > User Interface: Ribbon height. It it all the way to the left? The default is 32px, which might be too large for your screen rez on the laptop. The ribbon should go down to, say, 26 or 28 pixels. 
Which screen resolution does the laptop have?

Quote from: ubacher on November 18, 2023, 07:36:47 AMI am campaining for having the ribbon wrap!
I'm not sure if I want to spend some extra weeks of time and money on that before I know that this is really needed.
Screen resolutions get higher and higher, the size of the ribbon can be reduced etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

The lowest I can set the ribbon height is 44. (Slider all the way to the left).
(4k screen 225%, 282 PPI)

Currently it fits 4  of 7 favorites icons. Unfortunately a very often used one is hidden.
Is there a way to specify/arrange the order in which the icons appear?

Mario

7 favorites in the File Window toolbar is a lot. 2 is the average in telemetry.
Have you considered using the Favorites Panel to run Favorites, or assigning a keyboard shortcut to Favorites you use often?
Or just run them from the Command Palette when this is too much to remember.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

This is how my menu ribbon looks (Screen Resolution:  4K, Scaling:  150%, Text Size:  190%): 
Icons-Ribbon-Menu.png

Ribbon height is set to 54 (can go as low as 26), which is the minimum size that is comfortable for me.  As is, with my workspace as it appears in the screenshot, the icon for the associated application is truncated, and there is no representation of it in the hamburger drop-down menu.  And, I would like to have access to open the file from within IMatch, without having to use the right-click menu for the file. 

Tveloso

Quote from: Mario on November 18, 2023, 09:55:17 AMYou are combining (what it looks like) a quite large (high) ribbon with a very small screen resolution. I don't know if you can reduce the height of the ribbon a bit more (which reduces the width of the buttons , too). Edit > Preferences > Application > User Interface: Ribbon height. It it all the way to the left? The default is 32px, which might be too large for your screen rez on the laptop. The ribbon should go down to, say, 26 or 28 pixels.
Which screen resolution does the laptop have?
My laptop display resolution is 1920 x 1200 and my external monitor is 2560 x 1440.

In my case, the ribbon is forced to a small width due to the Layout of my workspace, and the somewhat significant reduction of the file window width when IMatch is moved over to my Laptop.

I normally work with IMatch on my external monitor, and the Layout of my workspace has the file window at just a little over 50% of the available width:

Screenshot_2023-11-18_120254.png

...but when I move IMatch over to my laptop display, the File Window width is reduced quite a bit (perhaps influenced by the QuickView Panel?):

Screenshot_2023-11-18_120324.png

I'll probably just establish separate workspaces for the two displays (probably should have done that before), in order to see more of the ribbon.

Incidentally, I'm not finding a Ribbon height option in the User Interface section:

Screenshot_2023-11-18_122147.png

--Tony

Mario

After an unexpected busy Saturday (and real bad weather), I've managed to make the Ribbon wrap.
This should solve the issues reported in this thread and by @ubacher with his 7 favorite icons in the File Window ribbon.

Have a look at this rather extreme example with a very narrow File Window:

Image1.jpg

Needs some fine-tuning, but already working quite well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator