System specifications for 2million+ image db

Started by swami.kevala, November 20, 2023, 09:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swami.kevala

Hi,

Could somebody let me know what would be the recommended server specifications for running an IMatch database with 2 million+ images (50TB) and 10 concurrent users. Are there people who use it on these scales? We have been using Fotostation for the last 10 years, and we are looking to move to something more cost effective. Our team is currently evaluating IMatch and they like it. From an IT perspective we need to make sure that it will scale to our volume of data.

Kind Regards
Swami Kevala

Mario

2 million assets and 50 TB or storage and 10 concurrent users is definitive enterprise-level DAM.

This is not something that I would consider suitable for a 130 US$ software like IMatch.
130$ is what you usually pay per hour for a DAM consultant that figures out your requirements and then makes an informed decision about which enterprise-level DAM is suitable for your use-case and how much customizing is needed.

Companies like Canto, Bynder, Adobe, Widen, AssetBank, etc. specialize in this kind of data volume, providing on-site and cloud-based solutions for this kind of DAM use-case, with dedicated and replicated servers for resilience etc.
Check out https://www.capterra.com/digital-asset-management-software/ for a good market overview (no affiliation).

IMatch is designed for individual users. IMatch Anywhere is designed for home users or small teams which need an easy-to-use and affordable DAM for their company network, library or small institutes.
Not for large 10 person teams and more assets than most stock agencies get away with.

I have no personal experience with IMatch databases of that size. I only work here.
The largest database I frequently work with has about one million assets and it works just fine.

When I last looked, telemetry reported an average number of managed files of 160,000, with a large number of users managing between 200,000 and 400,000 files. 6 million managed assets is the largest database in telemetry.
Telemetry does not collect any personal information so I don't know who the user with this large database is. I would really like to see some log files to spot potential performance bottlenecks.

Keep in mind that searching 2,000,000 million files takes more than 10 times as long as searching 200,000 files.
Creating or updating data-driven categories also takes more than 10 times as long.

If you have a fairly beefy PC or laptop (modern workstation/creator laptops are amazingly fast) around, I recommend to build the IMatch database with the two million assets and then give it a very thorough test with IMatch and the free 30-day trial version of IMatch Anywhere. If 30 days is not enough to run all your tests, contact me (support email address) and I will extend your IMatch Anywhere trial version for another 30 days.

I don't have the man power or resources of companies like FotoStation (which has about 30 employees) or big companies like Widen, Bynder, AssetBank and other DAM vendors specializing in corporate DAM.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook