Database Relocate only folder by folder?

Started by ulrich, November 25, 2023, 06:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulrich

Have a new notebook with big disk, so copied picture directories and photools-DB from my slow USB-harddisk to that SSd, installed photools, got orange message "Offline folder gefunden", and tried to relocate:

Laufwerk verschieben
  Umzuzuiehende Laufwerke
    E:\Dat\\Fotographie\192x\

Wählen Sie ein Laufwerk oder eine Netzwerkressouce als Ziel
    C:\Users\ueli\Pictures\Fotographie

Nach OK:

Nicht existierende Verzeichnisse auf dem Ziellaufwerk:
    C:\Users\ueli\Pictures\Fotographie\Dat\Fotographie\192x\

Relocation of one singel folder works as expected, but there are many of them, hope i have not to do folder by folder......

What is wrong?

Regards  Ulrich
Regards Ulrich

Mario

QuoteNicht existierende Verzeichnisse auf dem Ziellaufwerk

This is a safely measure. IMatch has detected that you are relocating a folder to another folder, but the target folder does not have all/the same sub-folders as the folder you are relocating.

This is usually an operator error. Continuing with the relocation will cause problems, since IMatch has no way to tell what goes where.

1. Make a backup copy of your database (Backup)
2. Double check that you relocate to the correct target folder.

"E:\Dat\\Fotographie\192x\" should be relocated to "C:\Users\ueli\Pictures\Fotographie\Dat\Fotographie\192x\", but the 192x folder has sub-folders on E: which don't exist on C:\

If you have not only moved your files from E: to C: but also changed their organization, you will have to manually relocate these folders before you relocate the E:\Dat\... folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ulrich

Thank you for fast answer.

However I now do not understand how to relocate picture folder to a new device:
copied image folders from E:\Dat\Fotographie\...
to C:\Users\ueli\Pictures\Fotographie\...

But it seems that the RELOCATE command expects the new location at
C:\Dat\Fotographie\...

Is the different folder structure a "change of the organisation"?

Did I overlook something?

The iMatch-documentation does not explain how to move picture folders to a new storage device?
Regards Ulrich

Mario

You must relocate the Fotographie folder to C:\Users\ueli\Pictures\Fotographie\ 
You cannot simply relocate *\Dat* since there is no \Dat\ folder in your new hierarchy.

If the Relocate reports missing folders, you have not copied all your folders or you have reorganized them somehow.

QuoteThe iMatch-documentation does not explain how to move picture folders to a new storage device?
See: Files Moved to Another Disk or Computer
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook