RESCAN

Started by timoteo, November 26, 2023, 10:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timoteo

Apparently because Capture One doesn't trigger a rescan of my folders when it exports to my folders in imatch, any time I do this I have to manually rescan the entire directory in imatch. I have ~20k files in my Texas directory and if I do right-click "rescan now", a progress window comes up and tells me that it estimates my scan will take less than 15 seconds but the entire rescan actually takes around a minute and 15 seconds.

When I copy or move a file from another directory to the Texas directory using the Windows File Manager, it does trigger the imatch background rescan and that takes around 30-40 seconds.

Questions:
1) why does the manual rescan take something like 2 1/2 times as long as the manual rescan?
2) short of breaking up my ~20k file directory into sub-directories, is there a way for a rescan to pick up new files in the directory run faster?
3) why is imatch's manual rescan time estimate so far off the mark in this case? All of my physical directories are on a 4TB SSD.

Mario

QuoteApparently because Capture One doesn't trigger a rescan of my folders when it exports to my folders in imatch
This would be very strange. When IMatch is running, it monitors all top-level folders in the database and when it receives messages from Windows about file system changes, it adds the folder to a processing queue.
This can be seen in the log file.

QuoteTexas directory and if I do right-click "rescan now", a progress window comes up and tells me that it estimates my scan will take less than 15 seconds but the entire rescan actually takes around a minute and 15 seconds.
Having a log file in debug logging mode (Help menu > Support > ...) will be helpful to diagnosis this.

Rescanning a folder with a few thousand files is super-fast, unless new or updated files are found and have to be processed.
IMatch does not know if it finds new or updates files until it does. The process overlay dialog makes estimates on the past several seconds or past few dozens of files.

Always produce a log file and include it in ZIPped form when you report such issues.
It can tell us if IMatch found modified folders and files, how many, how long it takes to process each file etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook