Issue with renaming files

Started by robbo56gbr, December 03, 2023, 05:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbo56gbr

I will try to explain the issue I am having. I kind of understand what is going on but have not yet got a method to perform this correctly.

The majority of my image files are named as IMG_xxxx.CR2.  I know this is bad but it is where I am.  My camera has now looped around so I am starting to import files with same names as existing older files.  To resolve this I recently set up a better naming system using Date, Time format and use the File Renamer tool which does exactly as asked.

My workflow is to copy the image files from SD card to a folder called IN. I then run the renamer which gives the better name and also moves to dated folders (still under IN) at this stage.

Imagine I have a raw file called IMG_0001.CR2 already in database. I also have a JPEG IMG_0001.jpeg which is successfully versioned to parent file using File Relations rule.  Now I drop a new file 0001.CR2 into my IN folder and run the renamer.  The existing JPEG file of the original 0001 now mysteriously appears in the IN Folder which seems very strange.

I hope someone can advise what I should do, as even though I am starting to rename my newer files it seems that before running renamer IMatch is making the old jpeg become related to the new raw file evn though it is renamed.

Help !!

Mario

My first guess would be that your file relation rule somehow makes IMatch find the version linked to the other (old) file with the same name and make the Renamer move it.

Please double-check where you let IMatch search for your versions. Usually you set this to something like "same folder as master file" or "in a sub-folder below master file". The "tighter" the search scope, the less likely it is that "unwanted" versions are detected.

Quoteand also moves to dated folders (still under IN) at this stage.

This may be a hint!
If you have both the old CR2 and version in the IN folder hierarchy and you have set the file version rule to search very deep, the Renamer may detect the version when renaming and moving the file from the IN folder. Having master files with the name name in the same folder hierarchy which is searched by file version rules to detect version creates at least some uncertainty.

If you must do this, make sure your file version rule's search scope is very tight and does not accidentally search all over a deep folder hierarchy or even the entire database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

robbo56gbr

Hi,

FYI, the IN Folder is not under the same folder hierarchy as my originals (CR2) or the processed files (tiffs and jpegs). Regardless I will check what I have set for the file version rules.

thrinn

Maybe you could also share a screenshot of your file relation rules here - this would make it easier to help you.
One additional point to check: Do you have also defined an Buddy rule for your JPG? Currently it is not clear to me if you  run the Renamer only on the CR2 file or also on the JPG. If you have a file relation of type Buddy defined, the JPG will be renamed automatically together with its CR2 file. But if not, maybe only the CR2 file was renamed and moved while the JPG stayed in place with its original name?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

robbo56gbr

Here is my relation setup

My originals (cr2) live in Originals with dated subfolders. All versions (tiffs, afphoto, jpegs live in Processed.) IN is non nested folder for import.

Mario

@thrinn made some good points.
The key point here are buddy files (not versions). The Renamer knows about buddies and handles them when renaming and moving files. If your relation rules detect a b buddy file, it will be processed.
My guess is that your relation rules "drill too deep" and hence grab versions you don't want during renaming.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

robbo56gbr

I think I am understanding now, I have changed the buddy file Where to search to Master Folder.  I only have a buddy setup for raw files, not jpeg.  Thinking further I am not even sure if I need a buddy defined as I believe metadata xmp files are handled regardless and I cannot think what other buddy files would or should be associated with my CR2 raws.

Have I missed something? or does it sound as if I am the right track? Many thanks

Mario

IMatch automatically handles XMP files and renames, moves, duplicates, copies etc. them as needed. No user action required.

f you have versions for your CR2 files (e.g. JPEG files) and you want them to be renamed and moved and copied together with the master file, you setup a buddy file relation. Else not.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

robbo56gbr