Do we still need separate Folder/Category Bookmarks?

Started by Mario, December 11, 2023, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

The Media & Folders View allows users to drop folders into the Bookmarks tab under the folders tree to create bookmarks. These bookmarks allow to jump to different folders quickly.
A similar functionality is available for categories in the Categories View.

Favorites provide the same functionality using <Alt>+left-click. They also support operations like copying or moving files and assigning/un-assigning categories. And offer a lot more customization like color-coding and even custom icons.

When I run refactor rounds for IMatch (where I update or replace code with better alternatives) I also think about features which have existing since back in the data (aka IMatch 5) and which no longer serve a real need...

Do you use this feature? If so, why don't you use folder / category favorites instead?

Image1.jpg

I'll make this a poll so you can vote.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Yes, I use them.

As for the "Why": Mostly because I can't accidentally copy a file to a folder or assign a category by forgetting to hold down the Alt key. And Bookmarks are also color-coded, in a way: They take over the color from the folder or category, as long as these are color-coded.

If you decide to remove the Bookmark tabs, I will certainly adapt and use the Favorites instead. Using the Bookmarks is just how I work at the moment.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

sinus

I use them also. It is quicker from my point of view, and the favourites has enough icons and so on. 
Go tho folder, use the bookmark and I am done.

And the reasons, what Thorsten mentioned, yep, these are also a point. 
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

JohnZeman

I use category bookmarks quite often, folder bookmarks rarely, for the same reasons as Thorsten mentioned.

mopperle

suttonbg

I've recently started to use both, but find the folder bookmarks more convenient as they are right there, just under the folder tree. My Favorites panel might be on another screen, which means a lot more mouse-miles.

Jingo

I use them for the same reasons Markus mentions.. my favorites already have too many icons so having bookmarks let's me jump to the 2 or 3 places I go often more quickly.  If you removed the feature - I'd easily adapt to something else as well!  :-)

BanjoTom

I've always used bookmarks for both folders and categories.  KEEP THEM, please!
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Carlo Didier

Rarely used the file window bookmarks as I'd prefer having two separate file windows to move images around. But as I actually very rarely have to move files around, I don't have much use for those file window bookmarks anyway.

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on December 14, 2023, 11:44:00 AMRarely used the file window bookmarks as I'd prefer having two separate file windows to move images around. But as I actually very rarely have to move files around, I don't have much use for those file window bookmarks anyway.
This is not about File Window bookmarks (which is actually a very frequently used feature, for various purposes).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook