Adding Favourites to file window toolbar

Started by pmcabinet, December 17, 2023, 03:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmcabinet

Before the recent update I worked hard to get the proper Affinity 2 icon button on the toolbar. A tortuous process and I'm not even sure how I did it (and I have done it more than once in the past), but I know that every time there is an update I lose the icon.

There is a blank space now on the toolbar - a ghost 'button'. I can click on the blank space and Affinity 2 will open, but it's rather hit and miss. Right click on the ghost and I get a rectangle of orange 'ants'. Trying to configure in the Favourites 'Properties' dialogue is not getting me anywhere (the screenshot shows a messed up dialogue but I deleted it and re-added the favourite via 'New from Microsoft...' etc).

Any hints on what I'm missing or doing incorrectly? I'm sure the icon is there - I just can't get it to show on the toolbar.

Mario

Right-click into an empty space in the Favorites Panel and select "New from Microsoft Store App...".
Affinity 2 should show up in that list.

Apps like Designer 2 / Photo 2 which are installed via the Microsoft Store are o-so-very-special in many ways.
Like, no drag & drop support due to the lack of shortcuts, Windows functions to get the icon of these applications fail, installing an update of a Store app will break links in applications like IMatch which use them etc.

I've spent quite some time on this for IMatch 2023 and implemented functions to list Store Apps and provide an easy way for users to create shortcuts for this special kind of application. Use it.

See Applications Installed from the Microsoft Store for more info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

There is a classic installer for Affinity 2 as well as the one through the Windows Store which may help in this particular instance.

The comments from Mario encourage me in my resistance to submitting to the Microsoft attempt to mimic Apple levels of control

Mario

The store app feature also works for other store-installed apps. Not all companies will be willing to create a regular installer and it took Serif quite a while.

Store Apps have advantages and maybe there will be an IMatch version available via the store (in addition to the regular installer) at some point. Microsoft has opened their store for real applications a while ago. And having IMatch as a Store App may make it become known to a wider audience.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

pmcabinet

I did indeed use your carefully constructed (and much appreciated) method for Windows Store Apps; I do my best to research a problem and try not to waste your time.

The correct app with its proper icon for Affinity 2 shows in my Favourites panel.

In this favourites' Properties I have selected Primary Action.

Now, there is a blank space in the File Window shortcuts toolbar, behind which the app is hiding.

Why no icon? (I can't even get an iMatch proprietary icon to show.)

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator