Meta Data Write Back - files still pending after write back has completed

Started by FoxbatFlyer, January 03, 2024, 05:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoxbatFlyer

After keywording some 47000+ files and Meta Data Write-back taking some 35 hours or so to update the database, when I run Meta Data Write-back again (after optimizing the database and updating keywords on another 50 files), Meta Data Write-back shows 6005 files with pending metadata!

When I dig deeper and find files with the yellow pen tool showing unwritten metadata, and I examine these files in Windows Explorer, the data has, in fact, been written into the file.

I really don't want to run Meta Data Write-back on 6000 files and tie up the PC again for many hours if it isn't necessary.

Is there something I am missing?

Drew

Mario

When you point the mouse cursor at a yellow pen in the File Window, which tags are listed for write-back?

See also Metadata Problems and Pitfalls for explanations and typical issues users experience with metadata in their files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

FoxbatFlyer

After my first post, I ran write-back again. It took about 7 hours to complete. After completion, I ran it again and it showed 455 files pending. So, I ran it again. After completion, 53 files are pending. Again - now 52 pending. Now if I run it again there are still 52 pending.

Is there a search term or method for me to display the files that are pending write-back?

The tags that are listed for write-back vary. The following is an example from 3 different files:
XMP::Lightoom\HeirarchicalSubject
XMP::dc\Subject
--------
XMP:exif|DtatTimeOriginal
XMP::photoshop\DateCreated
XMP::CreateDate
XMP::xmp\ModifyData
-------
IPTC::ApplicationRecord\Keywords
XMP::dc\Subject

Thanks

Drew

Mario

QuoteIs there a search term or method for me to display the files that are pending write-back?
Switch to the Collection View and click on "Pending Metadata Write-back" in the tree on the left. This shows you all files with pending write-back. See The Collections View

QuoteThe tags that are listed for write-back vary.
When keywords are the issue (HierarchicalSubect, Subject, IPTC Keywords) the typical problem is that another software has produced out-of-sync keywords in such a bad way that IMatch cannot resolve/fix/sync them automatically.
See Keyword Problems for possible solutions. If your files contain legacy IPTC metadata and you don't need it anymore (its legacy for 20 years now), remove it => Legacy IIM IPTC Data

If timestamps cause issues, it's usually a problem with time zone offsets. Offsets recorded in the file, EXIF time zone offsets in the file, the time zone settings you use (Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2).

See Time Zone Difference

Select one of the files where the time stamps cause issues.
In the Metadata Panel (Default layout), click the little pen icon in front of the Create Date and Date Subject Created to mark them as modified. Check that the time stamps are correct. Now write-back. IMatch / ExifTool will write both time stamps and sync them into EXIF metadata too. This usually fixes the problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook