Location Tag Improvements in 2023 - Observations and Clarifications

Started by PandDLong, January 16, 2024, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I just upgraded to iMatch 2023 and I am excited with many of the enhancements.   Geo-data for my photos is a focus and I spent a lot of time understanding how the various tags and iMatch functions interacted in iMatch 2021.   This is an area with changes and improvements in iMatch 2023 so I have been reading the forums and working through scenarios to make sure I understand how it all works now. 

First, I really really like the change to populate both the IPTC Extension Location Created and Shown tags as per the thread "Please HELP with TESTING if you work with GPS, the Map Panel and Location Data"
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13712.msg96692.html#msg96692 

It solves a feature request I had made a couple years ago and in a more elegant manner than I had contemplated at that time.  It seems very logical and an improvement while being non-disruptive to past functionality.   It helps to streamline my workflow. 

A couple of observations around this change:

1. After a reverse geo-code (and both Location Created and Shown are populated with identical data), if one moves/reassigns the marker the GPS co-ordinates are updated and still identical as expected.  Doing a reverse geo-code after this moves treats it as a GPS co-ordinate pair and does the lookup for both Created and Shown co-ordinates as though they are different.

2. Using Automatic Mapping in a Metadata Template populates both the Location Created and Shown tags with the Location information which is very nice and consistent.  I notice that the Location Shown GPS co-ordinates are not updated in this scenario.

In an earlier thread titled "How To Clear Entries from the Country, State/Province, City & Location Fields"
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13555.msg95445.html#msg95445   
you outline the complexities of the multiple tags in different groups that should have the same information (eg. City and Country) and how the MWG standards and exiftool create complexities that iMatch needs to accommodate.   IMO - this thread nicely summarized the issues that have surfaced in many other threads in the past.

You included the following information about some changes to iMatch that I couldn't find referenced in the Release Notes nor the help documentation (this may have been my poor searching skills).

<<
I have extended an (not really often used) concept that is in IMatch for a while and that are liked tags.
Basically, this allows me to link certain tags in the metadata config file and e.g. tell IMatch "When the user updates XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCity\LocationShownCity, also update Composite\MWG-City\City  and XMP::photoshop\City\City.

(Long-winded but fascinating explanation of how this all works removed).

The end result is that IMatch is now "better" and somehow managing this melange of related location tags.
For example, adding / changing  / deleting (emptying) XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCity\LocationShownCity now propagates these changes into the other mentioned tags during write-back or even in the database for immediate feedback.
>>

Can you clarify this change in terms of what tags are 'liked' or point me to where this is described in the Help/Release Notes?

Thanks again for the improvements in iMatch 2023.

Michael