Adjustable search field size in ribbon

Started by cg, January 22, 2024, 07:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cg

Since the introduction of ribbons, I've noticed that, because the file window ribbon is responsive, the icons wrap depending on how wide the adjacent tabs are. I've had several custom functions that I use most often at the top right of the file window (great function!) that now wrap to the opposite side of the screen sometimes.

You cannot view this attachment.

The search field takes up a lot of space (at least on my monitor) and is longer than any search term  it seems most people would likely use, even an advanced one.

I'm wondering if:

1. The search field can be adjustable left-to-right, maybe with a rollover cursor much like the way the panels inside the window are adjusted, so it can take up less room. Or...

2. The icon size of the ribbons can be adjusted to be smaller. From what I can tell, there's a minimum size in the preferences and they can only get larger from I have them set at. On my monitor, at least, they can be smaller than they are. Or...

3. There's a function that already exists to do either of these that I've missed in the preferences or help files. :)

Thanks!

Mario

The search and sort elements have a minimum size and will use available room in the ribbon to grow. See the wide load ribbon thread for more info.

When you resize the File Window, these controls will shrink. Only when there minimum size is hit and the ribbon cannot compress any further, it will wrap into a second row. The search bar in your screen shot is way to wide and the ribbon should not have to wrap.

Again, info about screen resolution and DPI settings etc. would be helpful. This is how small I can make the FW on my 4K screen (150%) before the ribbon starts to wrap into a second row:

See how small the search box and sort elements have become? They shrink when the ribbon gets narrower.
When I now reduce the FW width by a few extra pixels, the icons on the right of the ribbon will wrap into a second row. But only then.

@Other Users
Do you see the same effect?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cg

Hi, Mario.

I'm on a high-end laptop with a 4k screen, Windows 10.

The elements do shrink as the file window gets narrower. It's interesting that the sort order element doesn't shrink like it does on your screen, and that at one point, the search field is so long the magnifying glass wraps to the second line but as it gets narrower, the magnifying glass wraps back up to the first line.

Thanks!

Mario

I cannot reproduce this on monitors between 1920 and 4K, not even at 250% scaling.
This is what I see on a 4K monitor set to 250% scaling:

The minimal width for the sort drop-down is set to:

12 * average character width * screen vertical DPI / 96 * system text scale factor.

The minimal width for the search edit control is set to:

14 * average character width * screen vertical DPI / 96 * system text scale factor.

This results in min widths of 126px and 147px for these ribbon elements. It makes no difference here if I start IMatch on the main monitor (4K, 150%) or my second monitor (4K, 250%), the ribbon looks the same and wraps the same.

I've also tried to reproduce your other issue with the tooltip in the Viewer, but could not. I've tried various screen resolutions and DPI settings up to 300%.

Maybe this is a Windows 10 thing. Who knows.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook