A small glitch?

Started by sinus, January 26, 2024, 11:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Is this reproducable or is this only here?

The number after Shift Alt S, but also with the command to write back all writable images, this box with a screwed number appears. See attachement.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I can reproduce this by forcefully changing the thousands grouping symbol from , or . to the ' I see in your screen shot.
The ' has a special meaning in programming and XAML, and I guess the XAML processor "escapes" the special character when formatting the number of files when it sees the '.

But then you should see escape codes instead of formatted numbers everywhere XAML is used. I think? Or maybe the dialog boxes are special...

I can see that the XAML processor escapes & < > " and '. ' is replaced with &#x0027;
Replacing & <> is mandatory since these are special characters for XAML. Why " and ' are escaped I don't understand right now. But I'm sure when I change it, one or more things in IMatch will break. Maybe dialogs will show nonsense, maybe XAML produced by users breaks when I ship this change etc.

If somebody has used " or ' in text that is supposed to be rendered as XAML (probably you, somewhere in D&P) not escaping ' may break things, without a chance to recover.

IMatch uses the routine to escape text before it is rendered as XAML in 278 places. If I change the escaping of ', any of these places may cause problems for me, or maybe only for users out there with unusual numeric formats that use " or ' as a comma, separator or thousands grouping symbol. Why knows.

I'll have a look.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I see, Mario.
For me personally, if it stays like it is, would be no problem. 
Specially I know now why, thanks to your explanations.  :)
Markus

Mario

I'll add a special case for Task Dialogs. I think not many users use a numerical format with ' as the thousands separator, or this would have been reported years ago. Is this a Swiss thing?

Image1.jpg
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Great, thanks a lot, Mario! 

Well, I do not exactly know, is it a Swiss thing or not. :D
But what I know, that some "Kantone" uses in the scool points, some commas. 
So it is not equal in the whole country, what is a pity. 

An apostroph is not widely used in Switerland, but I know, that quite a lot of IT-people here uses the apostroph, it is even mentioned in Wiki.  8)
And even a lot of officially tax-lists uses the apostoph.

Well, in Germany they uses, as far as I know, the point or a (recommended) empty space (geschütztes Leerzeichen).
And in the USA it is again something else and so on. 

At least you did it, thanks for your quick and efficient solution for the next release!  :)

Markus