Viewer Annotation and Category Panel still not working correctly

Started by jelvers, February 06, 2024, 07:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelvers

Unfortunately hovering with the mouse over the Category Viewer Panel in Viewer Mode still results in bringing the main window into the forefront, if viewer and the main programme are on the same screen. W.r.t. the Viewer Annotation Panel it seems to be frozen.

Regards, Juergen

Mario

Do you have experimental mode enabled?
Which Viewer mode do you use? Fullscreen?
Do you have IMatch 2023.7.2 installed (released today)?

In that case, I cannot reproduce this. The tooltips for the ribbons in the Annotation Panel and Categories Panel in the Viewer show correctly, the main IMatch window is not brought into the foreground.
Just checked on my workstation PC and my laptop. Works just fine on both.

Any additional details you can share?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

For me this no longer happens in the ribbon in the Viewer's Category Panel, so IMatch 2023.7.2 has fixed that issue.  Hovering the mouse pointer over any of the icons in the ribbon now puts up the ToolTip as expected, without bringing the IMatch main window to the foreground:

Screenshot 2024-02-06 211225.png

But I just happened upon why it happens still, inside the Category Tree within Category Panel.  As discussed in this post:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13950.msg98254.html#msg98254

...I was not able to reproduce that behavior, but it turns out that it happens only when Category Panel needs to put up a ToolTip because the entirety of a given Category Name is not visible in then panel.

So, for example, when I hover my mouse pointer over the IMatch Standard Categories item in this Tree (which is truncated due to the size of the Panel):

Screenshot 2024-02-06 213211.png

...IMatch puts up a ToolTip to show the entire Name of the Category, but that ToolTip appears over the IMatch main window, which has been brought to the foreground (here, appearing over the Info & Activity Panel):

Screenshot 2024-02-06 211625.png

This topic mentions that it happens also with the Annotations Panel, but I could not reproduce that (neither with the Standard, or User Annotations).
--Tony

Tveloso

Interestingly, if the IMatch main Window is minimized, this does not happen.  

So if the IMatch main window pops up because if this ToolTip issue, and we Alt+Tab back to the Viewer, the same thing will happen again.  But if when the IMatch main window is brought to the foreground, we minimize it (which also makes the Viewer visible again), now ToolTips display properly in the Viewer's Category Panel (without the IMatch main window popping up).

But once the IMatch main window is restored, or maximized, the "popup issue" happens again.
--Tony

Mario

Mhm, that's something totally different!

IMatch controls only the tooltip in the ribbon. The tooltips in tree controls are created and managed by the 3rd party user interface toolkit I use, or by Windows, if it's a standard tree control.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I've had a look. What I noticed was this (in the regular category panel):

Image1.jpg

There are two tooltips.  One nicely formatted and wrapped (created by IMatch and the 3rd party tooltip with XAML) and the other tooltip, which expands beyond the window, not doing any wrapping at all.

The non-wrapping tooltip is the standard tooltip provided by the Windows tree control element.

In the Viewer, due to the fact that is is a separate window, the 3rd party tooltips don't work. I have an open support ticket about that with the company for years...

So, in the Viewer, we only get the standard Windows tree control tooltip, and this tooltip causes the main application to be brought into the foreground whenever it shows!

I don't see a way to change this behavior, there are no related options.
So I've disabled the Windows built-in tooltip and this means there are no tooltips anymore in the Category Panel in the Viewer. If you use very long category names or a very small panel and there is text clipped, you will have to scroll horizontally to read it.

But that's much better than hovering over the Category Panel in the Viewer bringing the IMatch main window into the foreground. I think.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 06, 2024, 08:50:09 PMDo you have experimental mode enabled?
Which Viewer mode do you use? Fullscreen?
Do you have IMatch 2023.7.2 installed (released today)?
(1) I did enable experimental mode in Preferences
(2) I tried Full Screen and Windows Mode
(3) Yes, 2023.7.2.

Just repeated it. Unfortunately no progress.

Rgds Juergen

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 07, 2024, 01:34:07 PMSo I've disabled the Windows built-in tooltip and this means there are no tooltips anymore in the Category Panel in the Viewer.

Do you mean, we should uncheck View/Thumbnail Tooltips?

Mario

No. This is something I have done in code for the next IMatch release.
You cannot change how Windows displays tooltips in tree controls.

In the mean time, just make the Category Panel in the Viewer wide enough so that Windows does not have to display tooltips. This avoids the problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Tveloso

Quote from: Mario on February 07, 2024, 01:34:07 PMSo I've disabled the Windows built-in tooltip and this means there are no tooltips anymore in the Category Panel in the Viewer. If you use very long category names or a very small panel and there is text clipped, you will have to scroll horizontally to read it.

But that's much better than hovering over the Category Panel in the Viewer bringing the IMatch main window into the foreground. I think.
Thank you Mario.  This sounds like a reasonable solution, since in this case, the ToolTip was only showing us the "full text" of what we could already see most of anyway (and the condition causing the ToolTip to appear was actually rarely present).  It's not nearly as important as a ToolTip for an Icon...
--Tony

Mario

Agreed. With the new change we don't have tooltips for overly long category names anymore.
But my ribbons can show tooltips in the Viewer, which was never possible before.

Maybe when I have a week of time and feel like it I can maybe replace the standard Windows tree window tooltips with tooltips of my own making, and make them behave properly also in the Viewer. But things like this can suck up a week of development time, with the final result "does not work reliably on W10/W11 - abandon idea"...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 07, 2024, 07:45:23 PMIn the mean time, just make the Category Panel in the Viewer wide enough so that Windows does not have to display tooltips. This avoids the problem.
Many thks, Mario, this works without problems. And I also understand now, why I didn't have the problem all the time, because in between I definitely changed the width of the Cat Panel for practical reasons.

Rgds, Juergen