Duplicates are Originals and Vice-Versa

Started by PandDLong, February 11, 2024, 09:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I have recently started using the Duplicates category on indexing and the 'Search>Duplicates' functions quite extensively as I "find" folders of photos on USB sticks and odd places in my file system.

It is a great and time-saving capability.

The one aspect that would simplify it further for me is the definition of the "original" and "duplicate" in the Results Window.  The file that was added to the database later is considered the original and the pre-existing file is the duplicate - I assume that is because I searched using the files in the duplicates category as my source (and thus it is the "original" file in the search).

Is there an option or simple way to reverse this such that the pre-existing file is considered the original - it would make the 'Select All' and 'Delete' of all those new files I just added possible. (instead I do side-by-side view so I can select the recently added file and reject/delete them - one-by-one).

Is there a way to flip the originals to be considered the duplicates and vice-versa?

Michael

Mario

When you search for duplicates (or copies, or visually similar files), the files you have selected are the originals. This gives you complete control over what you consider an original.

When you enable the option to automatically check for dupes in the Indexing properties, IMatch checks each file coming into the database and when there is a duplicate of the incoming file, the incoming file is added to the DUPLICATES category. If you perform searches based on files in DUPLICATE, the matches found will be the older/pre-existing files. You decide which file to keep.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook