GO PRO GPR

Started by vpv, May 06, 2023, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpv

Hi!
iMatch does not show previews for GPR/RAW files from GO PRO BLACK HERO 11. The same is for GO PRO BLACK HERO 10
I am under Windows 10

Mario

There are several things that may cause this:

+ Windows 10 is outdated and the included WIC codecs are no longer updated by Microsoft.
Windows 10 does no longer receive regular updates, only security updates.
+ The GPR variant used by your camera is not (yet) supported by Windows WIC
+ The automatic "fallback" to LibRAW IMatch uses also fails to handle the files produced by your camera.

Start by running a WIC Diagnostis of one of your files and attach the result.
This will show us if WIC or LibRaw recognize the specific RAW variant your camera produces.

Note that GoPro produces(d) many proprietary and undocumented RAW formats and there is no guarantee that Microsoft or the LibRaw project can or will support the proprietary GoPro RAW formats. GoPro does not provide a WIC codec for their RAW formats, as far as I know.

Please send a sample GPR file to my support email support email address.
Include a link back to this community thread - I get many emails per day.

I've modified IMatch 2023 to support the most recent versions of LibRAW, so maybe the problem has been solved already.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

vpv

Please DO NOT just copy & paste a ton of diagnosis log file into your post.
I've explicitly asked you to attach the log file.
Dumping 26,000 bytes of text into a post is bad for the community search engine and makes your post unreadable.
You can attach files and images to your posts via the Attachments and other options section under the post editor.
I have saved your text this time into a file and attached it to this reply (see bellow).

Mario

According to the log file, both Windows WIC and LibRaw support the file. Which is good.

But the diagnosis log you provided is for a RAF file, not GPR files.

I have tried the sample image you have sent by email on my machine.
Both WIC and LibRaw fail to process the file. I get only:

WIC: Testing file 'E:\data\download\community\13164\20230424-1953-GOPR0877.GPR'
Thumbnail: Codec ''
    (CreateDecoderFromFilename failed (88982F60 The image is unrecognized.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
Preview: Codec ''
    (CreateDecoderFromFilename failed (88982F60 The image is unrecognized.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
Full resolution: Codec ''

WIC Result: It looks like no WIC codec is installed which can handle this file.

IMatch Integrated RAW Processing.
Analyzing image 'E:\data\download\community\13164\20230424-1953-GOPR0877.GPR'
    Error opening file: -2 (Unsupported file format or not RAW file)

So the file format is at this time neither supported by Windows WIC nor by the latest version of LibRaw I use.
I would suggest that you contact GoPro and ask for a WIC codec that supports this file format variant.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

vpv

Thank you, Mario!

And sorry for my copy-past

Mario

All these proprietary and ever-changing RAW formats. I really hate them.
This will become an archival nightmare in a decade. Why don't they use DNG which supports everything GoPro will ever need - but in a standard format...

I've learned today that .GPR are actually DNG files, but with a custom and proprietary GoPro wavelet-based encoding.

It appears that LibRaw theoretically supports GPR files, but that requires a specific version of the Adobe DNG codec, source code provided by GoPro on GitHub (based on a customized and already outdated Adobe DNG SDK version) and several manual patches in the GoPro and Adobe DNG libraries to make them compile and play together.

I will look into this when more users have problems with their GPR files. One user does, unfortunately, not cause enough 'pressure' for me spending this amount of time. Sorry.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mlabbe

Hey, just a quick note to say that I've returned from vacation with a few hundred of these from my GoPro 12.  Happy to supply sample images to test against the libraw w/ manual patches.