[2023.7.2] No Earth Icon of DNG even GPS embedded

Started by Rene Toepfer, February 13, 2024, 12:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rene Toepfer

DNG, created with Pixel 8 Pro, will not be shown with Earth icon (GPS data) in file window even GPS is embedded. GPS coordinates will be shown on Metadata properties, Exiftool Command Processor and location is also shown on maps. Furthermore, if I filter by files without GPS data these DNG will be not shown (which is correct).

Screenshot 2024-02-13 120930.png

Mario

Where can I download the DNG file in question?
I need to look at the actual metadata in the file to see if there is a problem.

Upload it to your cloud space and post a link.
Or send it to support email address (< 20 MB!) with a link to this thread. I get many emails per day and this way I know what's what.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rene Toepfer

I have shared the download link via support mail. 

Mario

I have downloaded the file from your server, thanks.

After importing the file, it shows a globe icon and also appears in the Map Panel.
No idea what could have caused this to fail on your end.

Select the file(s) in a File Window and press Shift+Ctrl+F5 > Reload Metadata to see if this brings in the GPS data.
If this does not work, switch IMatch to debug logging via Help menu > Support and refresh the metadata again. Then use the Help > Support > Copy logfile to make a snapshot of the log file. ZIP and attach to your reply.

Maybe I can see something that indicates the cause of the problem in that log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rene Toepfer

Thanks for checking this query. I'll try your proposal. 

Tveloso

I wonder if this might possibly be another instance of the issue I was having as described in this topic:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13733.0.html

In my case, IMatch does not import the GPS data for a small percentage of newly indexed files (or that data gets wiped during / shortly after indexing), but the Globe Icon is still retained on the thumbnail.  Then a subsequent execution of Database Diagnostics removes the globe icon to "re-align" things within the IMatch Database.  But all the while, the file does contain GPS Data, and a Force re-scan brings it back into the database.

I wonder if Rene is seeing "the final result" of this - after a Diagnostics has removed the globe.

@Rene Toepfer, I wonder if you could check your last Diagnostics Log to see if it contains any instances of this warning

Warning: File [<OIDvalue>] with GPS flag but no GPS lat/lon. Fixed.
...which correspond to the DNGs you found have this issue.

Your last Diagnostics Log still be out there as:

%temp%\IMATCH6_DIAGNOSIS_LOG.txt

...and if it contains any instances of that Warning, you could use the File Finder App (the Find File by OID section at the bottom) to locate the file(s) referenced in the warning message

--Tony

Rene Toepfer

I have re-scaned as Mario proposed and now the globe is shown.

@Tveloso:
I have checked the log file but it does not contain any warning.

Mario

Did you check the file in the Metadata Panel before rescanning it? Was metadata like time stamps etc. imported at all?

Metadata import is atomic, which means that IMatch extracts metadata via ExifTool and then processes the data delivered by ExifTool into the database. During that step, IMatch checks if the file has GPS lat/lon in the XMP::exif record (which is filled by ExifTool from native GPS data in the file). If the file has lat and/or lon, the file is marked as having GPS data - which produces the globe icon in the File Window. All that is performed within one "transaction" and either completes successfully or leaves no trace in the database (and no metadata for the file).

Needless to say that all of this is has a mind-boggling complexity due to the general metadata mess and all the mapping and shifting and formatting going on.

I wonder how IMatch could miss that a file has GPS data and what could cause this. I have never experienced this and neither could I reproduce this with your sample DNG file.

Was there anything special about the import of these files? Something different than before? More load? Other computer? Other applications running...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Rene Toepfer

Quote from: Mario on February 14, 2024, 11:13:34 AMDid you check the file in the Metadata Panel before rescanning it?
In Metadate Panel the GPS lat/lon were shown. Afterwards re-scan the globe icon was shown in file window. Strange, only for this DNG. Yesterday I have created also DNG for testing purpose but they were shown correctly afterwards importing to IM.

Quote from: Mario on February 14, 2024, 11:13:34 AMWas there anything special about the import of these files? Something different than before? More load? Other computer? Other applications running...?

I was running an export job on Capture1 in parallel to importing into IM - but different files and project. It was not that I have imported this DNG into IM and in parallel exported them in C1.

Strange behaviour. I will keep an eye on it, maybe it occurs on it again. If so, I'll let you know. For this time, I close this issue.
Thanks for all of your support.