Propagation in Versions

Started by PandDLong, February 22, 2024, 05:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I am just starting to use File Relations - Versions (another great iMatch feature btw).  

Three observations/questions:

File Window Context Menu - All commands enabled
I was experimenting to learn how all the functions work and got myself quite confused as sometimes the same menu command did things and sometimes it didn't.   I was using the Version sub-menu of the File Window Context Menu - all the options are enabled all the time but when they weren't applicable they did nothing.   

Then I clicked the version icon and got the "real" menu - inapplicable commands were disabled - immediately everything made more sense.

Can/should the sub-menus in the file window context menu be disabled when appropriate?

Propagate Commands Only Work if the Focused File is the Right Type
If I select multiple files, the two propagation commands will only work if the focused file is of the right type (either a Master or a Version).  For example:

1. I select a range of files that include multiple master/version files (and files that are neither) and ensure the focused file is a master or version, a propagation command is available and does work across all of the selected files.

2. I select the same files but the focused file is neither a master nor a version - a propagation command is not available.

If this is the intended design, the help file should be updated as it references the file just being selected not necessarily the focused file.

Too Similar Command Names
The options 'Propagate data to Versions' and 'Propagate to Versions' look much the same and I was quite uncertain of the difference (until I could see when each was enabled and disabled).   
Perhaps the 'Propagate to Versions' could be called something like 'Propagate from Master' to make it look different and more clear it is for when a Version is the focused file.

Michael

Mario

QuotePropagate Commands Only Work if the Focused File is the Right Type
You usually never propagate manually using this command. It is only used for specific situations as documented.
If you have to use this command, you must select the master.

IMatch automatically propagates when you write back the master. This is how all this is supposed to work.
Propagation is performed during write-back. IMatch writes back the master, then tells ExifTool to copy the data you have selected for propagation to the versions.

IMatch makes exceptions for some frequently used tags like rating, label and hierarchical keywords. These are propagated "in-database" for an easier workflow and feedback. See the documentation on file relations and versions for details.

QuoteToo Similar Command Names
Make a post in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/board,14.0.html to let me know. I and translators read that board.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook