Issue with date

Started by trez55555, February 21, 2024, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trez55555

Hi, I have an issue with dates when sorting my photos.

I have a first photo with the following parameters:
- Create Date: 2021:02:24 16:32:57.959+01:00
- Date Subject Created : 2021:02:24 16:32:57.959+01:00

I modify the photo using DXO Photolab, and I copy/paste the two previous date fields so that they are the same as for the first photo:
- Create Date: 2021:02:24 16:32:57.959+01:00
- Date Subject Created : 2021:02:24 16:32:57.959+01:00
So both photos have the same values for the two fields.

When I sort the photos, they are not together and it seems that the dates are differents. I use the VarToy panel to check the dates and it gives the following results:

First photo:
{File.DateTime.Local.TZO}: 24/02/2021 15:32:57+01:00
{File.DateTime.UTC}: 24/02/2021 14:32:57
{File.DateTime.Original.TZO}: 24/02/2021 16:32:57+02:00

Second Photo:
{File.DateTime.Local.TZO}: 24/02/2021 16:32:57+01:00
{File.DateTime.UTC}: 24/02/2021 15:32:57
{File.DateTime.Original.TZO}: 24/02/2021 16:32:57+01:00

I don't understand the differences because I used this method before (copy/paste the date fields) and I never had trouble when sorting the photos.

Thanks for helping me

Mario

How did the time zone of the original date and time change from +02:00 to +01:00 (or +01:00 to +02:00, depending on what you mean first first/second)?

Did DxO change the EXIF time zone offset int he file?`

You copy and paste what and where?

Did you write-back after pasting so the EXIF data in the image and the EXIF time zone offsets where updated from the XMP timestamps you modified?

Open first/second file in the ExifTool Command Processor and run the "List Metadata" preset.
Then search for offset and look for the time zone offsets in the images. Any difference?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

trez55555

Thanks for your reply.

I call DXO from imatch to modify the original raw file and save it as a jpeg file. Then Imatch detects the generated file and I copy paste the fields "Created Date" and "Date Subject Created" from the original raw file into the new file.

I don't know what you mean by write-backbut yes I saved the changes and even quit and reopen imatch.

Regarding ExifTool command, I accidentaly deleted the "List Metada" but I used the following values : -all -a -G0:1 -s -charset filename=UTF8 {files} (Are these the right fields for List Metadata?)

In the second file, I have the following line which doesn't exist in the first one :
[EXIF:ExifIFD]  OffsetTime                      : +01:00

So it seems as you said that dxo modified the time zone offset. But I thought that by copying the original date (inclunding the offset) everything would be ok

Mario

QuoteI don't know what you mean by write-backbut yes I saved the changes and even quit and reopen imatch.
Write-back is the process when IMatch writes metadata modified in the database back into the image, which also includes mapping of XMP metadata back into nativ EXIF data (including time zone offsets), GPS, legacy IPTC data etc.

If you're new to IMatch, I highly recommend reading Metadata for Beginners and Metadata Write-back

IMatch uses the EXIF time zone offset as described in How IMatch uses Date and Time Information
If there was previously no time zone offset in the image, and no other source (e.g. XMP timestamps) to derive the time zone offset from, IMatch sets the time zone offset as described in File.DateTime Mapping Mode (User-defined Time Zone Offsets)

If there is now one offset, IMatch will use that, resulting in an +01:00 time zone offset.

There should be two timestamps, if the metadata is complete:
[ExifIFD] Offset Time Original and [ExifIFD] Offset Time Digitized but not all software out there cares enough to produce quality metadata.

QuoteSo it seems as you said that dxo modified the time zone offset. But I thought that by copying the original date (inclunding the offset) everything would be ok

QuoteRegarding ExifTool command, I accidentaly deleted the "List Metada"
Use this to restore the preset:
-G1
-all
-a
-charset
filename=UTF8
{Files}
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

trez55555

Thanks a lot!

It seems DXO add a +01:00 OffsetTime. I tried Affinity Photo and no offset is added.

What is easiest way to correct the date?

Mario

You mean the time zone offset of create date and date subject created? For one file, use the Metadata Panel.
For many files, use the Time Wiz

ExifTool persists the time zone offset of these time stamps in the corresponding EXIF time zone offset tags during write- back.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

See also https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13981.0.html re this DxO bug. I've reported it and am waiting for a response.

Using the TimeWiz to assign a specific time zone (usually the TZ where/when the photo was taken) seems to fix this problem.
John