Newly added files sort incorrectly upon first load

Started by Jingo, February 24, 2024, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

So - not sure if this is an issue or just a one-off "odd thing" that happened.  

Background:
  • I added 7 photos from a camera test into a watched folder in the system (2024-02).  
  • All the photos had similar "Date Subject Created" and "Create Date" XMP values (between 2/22/2024 8:06:00  and 2/22/2024 8:12:22).  
  • One of the photos (OM1_PXXXXXX05) had just been edited in Photoshop so the Modified date was updated (Today at 9:07:17).  
  • Filenames are all in order except the last 2 digits.
  • My sort order is set to the "Capture Time" which should sort by "Date/Time" then "Filename".

Oddness:

IMatch pulled in the 7 photos and displayed them all by Capture Date/Time except for the one that was recently modified in Photoshop - that photo appeared at the very end of the list.  I checked the metadata for that image and confirmed all the XMP values for Create Date and Date Subject Created were correct. 

I opened preferences to check the sort order settings for "Capture Time" in case I had done something odd along the way.. but it showed what I expected to see -> "Date/Time" followed by "Filename".

Upon closing preferences, the system re-sorted the images into the correct Capture Time order and now the modified photo appeared sorted correctly. 

I can try to reproduce with a new set of images but figured I'd pass along as it was discovered in case others have experienced this.  Not a major issue - but I'm curious if it was perhaps a timing issue and I didn't give the system time to sort (or it was busy doing something else first?).  Log file wasn't set to debugging mode (of course!) and the normal log file didn't show anything odd within.

Thx for reading... Andy.

Mario

Press <F5> once to reload the File Window. File Windows may be in a volatile state, suspending or delaying updates while other tasks are performed.

Hard to tell if this was the reason or if IMatch was not yet finished processing metadata (the fact that a file appears in a File Window does not mean that the processing of that file is finished yet.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

No worries.. that makes sense given the complexities of all the under the hood stuff going on when new images are added to the database.  Might have just been a timing thing because I don't recall running into it before.  Thx Mario!!

Mario

Let me know if you find steps to reproduced this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook