Fail to Write the First Time - Works but Clears Metadata the Second Time

Started by PandDLong, March 22, 2024, 06:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I bring into iMatch some MP4 files.  Add the metadata and establish a manual version relationship where one is the Master and the other are Versions  (in my case the Master is the "uncut" video and the versions are clips from it).

When I write-back the Master, it fails to update.  The logfile has this entry (which confirms the failure to write):
<<
03.22 10:49:56+162953 [3AC0] 01  W> ETWARN: Writeback: File not writable: C:\Users\micha\Pictures\iMatch Working Folders\Staging In 3\ACLong - VHS - A - 02.mp4  'V:\develop\IMatch5\src\IMEngine\PTETWrapper.cpp(3620)'
>>

I immediately write-back the file again and it works BUT it clears out all of the metadata I had added.  From that point forward everything seems to work normal - I add metadata, it write-backs fine, etc.

I double-check in File Explorer to make sure I hadn't accidentally made it write-protected and that the video wasn't open in some other app.  The folder is not synced by any cloud tool.

The puzzling part is why it won't write the first time but it will the second time - without myself doing anything else.

Michael

Mario

This error message comes from ExifTool, not IMatch.
Send me an example file which causes this error and I see if I can find out more. I might need to send this to Phil from ExifTool if this is indeed an issue in ExifTool.

Tip: Keep the Output Panel (View menu > Panels) open when writing back. Maybe the full warning / error message from ExifTool in that window contains more information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

I'll keep the output panel open next time.

The challenge on providing a File that creates the error is that it only happens the once so I suspect after I get the error the condition that created it is gone.  But we'll see.

I will also try to find more pattern to the issue.

Michael

PandDLong

I tried to recreate the situation - and couldn't.

I resumed my work on videos and used the same iMatch workflow as before.  No problems since. 

I will guess that this was an odd situation - perhaps my video editor left a lock on the file (I do try to close it when I switch to iMatch work, perhaps I didn't those first times).

All good.

Michael