Viewer to slow?

Started by Menace, December 08, 2013, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menace

Hi,

maybe the viewer is not improved, yet, but for my PC (SSD, 12 GB RAM, AMD Phenom II 940) the change of the picture in the viewer is very, very slow. Sometime I have to wait 2-3 sec to see the next picture (jpgs); at least the first time I watch them. Is there a change to get the speed up like Photo Mechanic 5 does?

BenAW

Check Preferences > Application > Viewer.
Do you have "always load full-scale image" enabled?

Menace

Quote from: BenAW on December 08, 2013, 12:54:15 PM
Check Preferences > Application > Viewer.
Do you have "always load full-scale image" enabled?

No. I haven't. Should I to get a faster workflow?

Edit: It seems faster yet. Thank you!

Mario

The Viewer by default loads (and pre-loads in the background) images at "screen size", unless you change the option to load always the "full-res" version.

Loading full-res in advance makes dive-zoom almost instant, but slows down the viewer considerably. Not so because of loading the larger files, but because it has 4 to 8 times more pixels to color-manage. Color management is a slow task, even on modern machines. If IMatch has not yet performed color management for the "next" image you scroll to in the Viewer, there may be a slow delay until the operation is completed. You can tell how many images are loaded and ready by the green dot in the film strip panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Menace

With "full-res" it feels smoother. The green dots disappear sometimes and with "screen size"-option, there is not a really work"flow" on my computer, when rating the images. I don't know why, but with "full-res" the preloading seems more consistent.

1Match

Check "FastPictureViewer Pro" for a realy fast viewer.
Sophisticated caching implemented!

Mario

This sounds a bit like advertisement... ??? especially since this is your first post.

Anyway, FPV is a fast viewer and their codecs are good.
But the Viewer in IMatch is similarly fast, when you use the performance features like caching etc.

The typical load/display time for files in IMatch 5 is between 0.2 and 1 second (time measured between navigating and when IMatch shows the image on screen). IMatch then performs color-management etc. in the background and updates the file on screen again when this is finished. Color management can take between 0.5 and 3 seconds, depending on the Windows version used. 80% of the time is used to color manage the image.

If you force IMatch to always load the full-size image (Edit > Preferences > Application: Viewer) will bring down the performance badly. Because when IMatch only needs to load "screen size" images it can operate usually four to eight times faster. You will notice a short delay when you use the dive-zoom, but all other operations will be much faster.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Menace

I am using IMatch on two different computers. With just 4 GB RAM and ca. 30 selected files viewing the pictures becomes after 10-20 images very slow. I want to show the pictures my family and have to stop using IMatch and start instead picasa photo viewer.  :o  Are 27' Monitor to big? At least, Adobe Photo Bridge CS4 stop after 4-5 pictures.

Mario

Die you disable the option to always load the full image (Edit > Preferences > Application Viewer).  This speeds up things much.
Also, do you use on-demand caching or have you the cache files already built?

And as usual, please attach a log file. I need to see the timing info the Viewer writes to the log to see if loading a file takes 0.5 seconds (normal) or 10 seconds.
For example, if you work with RAW files without a sufficiently large preview, IMatch may be forced to load the full raw. And this means 10 seconds for NEF files instead of 0.5 seconds!

I just zipped through yesterdays session (600 NEF files) in IMatch 5 with a couple of friends.

QuoteAre 27' Monitor to big?

No. I use calibrated 30" monitors myself.

QuoteAt least, Adobe Photo Bridge CS4 stop after 4-5 pictures.

What does 'stop' mean?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Menace

I'll try this on the next visit of my "other" PC.

Adobe Bridge tells something like run out of cache.

jch2103

I'm seeing some of the same Viewer behavior as Menace. Currently looking at a test folder with approximately 190 mixed NEF and JPG files (Nikon D600 and V1). The viewer pauses from time to time as I scroll through the images and the green dots appear and sometimes vanish again. I now have Preferences/Application/Viewer set to 'Always load full-scale image' = No after reading the above explanation; it seems faster but I'm still getting pauses. I tend to use the Viewer to assign Ratings; this slows things down further as files are updated. This is on a laptop with SSD drive and 8GB of RAM.

I've attached the log file for further information. Is this behavior 'normal'?

[attachment deleted by admin]
John

Mario

Do you create the cache on-demand (when the image is first needed) or do you let IMatch create the cache files when it imports the file into the database?
The "on-demand" causes delays in the viewer when the cache file needs to be created.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Menace

I have "standard". Could it be, because cache of jpg was off?