HOW TO: Automation - Copy Metadata From One Group of Files to Another

Started by ilgenealogist, March 22, 2024, 11:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilgenealogist

Hello,

First time poster - love you, love your show...

I am in the process of organizing, digitizing and archiving thousands of family photos. I have started ingesting the images (TIFF) into iMatch. I started populating tags with descriptions, etc. and performing facial recognitions.

Unfortunately, the files were scanned at a resolution lower than expected before I noticed, and I now need to rescan.

My question is whether or not there is some existing procedure\app\script available that would allow me to copy all tags from one image into another in a semi-automated way - i.e. Manually match source\destination files visually and then execute a "copy\write all tags" from the already tagged file to the newly scanned empty file.

I know it is simple to bulk update some fields manually via templates, but the unique fields are what I am concerned with.

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere or if this is in the wrong forum. I did search and found some similar solutions, but nothing specific. Having this would allow me to continue working in iMatch with what I already have and allow me to be flexible on the rescanning timing.

Thanks in advance...

Brian

Mario

QuoteMy question is whether or not there is some existing procedure\app\script available that would allow me to copy all tags from one image into another in a semi-automated way - i.e. Manually match source\destination files visually and then execute a "copy\write all tags" from the already tagged file to the newly scanned empty file.

Look at Copying Attributes, Metadata and Categories Between Files or Copying Metadata Between Files in the Metadata Panel. Or, File Relations: Versioning to create masters and versions and then let IMatch automatically propagate (copy) data between masters and versions during write-back.

If neither of these work on the level of automation you require, a purpose-built IMatch app or a script would be the way to go.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ilgenealogist

Mario,

Thanks for the reply. I'll dig into those links and see what I can do!