Sending a stack to the viewer should open all images (not only the top one)

Started by manfred_a, December 08, 2013, 10:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfred_a

If I want to compare images in a stack I have to expand the stack, send the expanded images to the viewer and afterwards have to collapse the images to the stack again.

It would improve my workflow if I could open ALL images inside the stack and not only the image at the top.

sinus

Quote from: manfred_a on December 08, 2013, 10:56:51 PM
If I want to compare images in a stack I have to expand the stack, send the expanded images to the viewer and afterwards have to collapse the images to the stack again.

It would improve my workflow if I could open ALL images inside the stack and not only the image at the top.

Funny, yesterday I thought the same, but I remembered vaguely, that we discussed this once.
but after all, I would also support this proposal.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BenAW

Quote from: sinus on January 10, 2014, 01:31:05 PM
Funny, yesterday I thought the same, but I remembered vaguely, that we discussed this once.
It is indeed an old request: Mantis 95
Would like to see this implemented as well.

sinus

Quote from: BenAW on January 10, 2014, 01:37:34 PM
Quote from: sinus on January 10, 2014, 01:31:05 PM
It is indeed an old request: Mantis 95
Would like to see this implemented as well.

Tsss,your brain - or your searching - is really impressiv!  :) Didn't find it before.  :-[
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BenAW

Quote from: sinus on January 10, 2014, 01:47:49 PM
Tsss,your brain - or your searching - is really impressiv!  :) Didn't find it before.  :-[
It was my own request, makes searching a lot easier  ;D

Ferdinand

I'm sympathetic to this request, but I don't see how Mario can implement this without breaching the rule that file operations only apply to the top file in the stack and don't apply to files within a collapsed stack.  I.e., if applying for example a rating or label to a collapsed stack doesn't apply it to all files in that stack, then how can sending a collapsed stack to the viewer send all files in the stack to the viewer? 

BenAW

Quote from: Ferdinand on January 11, 2014, 12:05:05 PM
I'm sympathetic to this request, but I don't see how Mario can implement this without breaching the rule that file operations only apply to the top file in the stack and don't apply to files within a collapsed stack.
- under Commands > File we have "Send to Viewer". Add an option "Send to Viewer including related Files".
  shift+enter can be used for this option
- in the right click menu for each image we have "Send to Viewer". Add an option "Send to Viewer including related Files".
  shift+enter can be used for this option
- in the right click menu we have Versions. Add an option to send all versions (including master) to the Viewer
- in the right click menu we have Stacking. Add an option to send the selected stack(s) to the viewer.

Ferdinand

I meant that Mario has described issues with the internal architecture of IMatch in doing this.  See e.g.  https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=1092.msg6483#msg6483

If "Stacked files are just that - hidden and unreachable" for the purposes of editing metadata, then I'd have thought that they would also be "hidden and unreachable" for the purposes of sending to the viewer.

BenAW

"Show all versions" works in much the same way as the feature request wants to achieve for sending version sets, buddies and stacks to the Viewer.
Sending a list of images to an "external application" like a result window, viewer, slideshow etc. is something quite different from working on a set of images IN the file window, with implications for categories, filters, collections etc. etc.

Mario

What about an "open stack in Viewer" command in the Stack / Version panels?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Will that show all files in the stack even if not all of them are in the current context (e.g. folder, category)?

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on January 13, 2014, 01:27:53 PM
Would be the least interesting option for me.
Ideally I would like to be able to select a few images in the file window, when pressing Enter only the selected images are sent to the Viewer, and when doing shift-Enter the versions, buddies and stacked images are also included.

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on January 13, 2014, 01:27:53 PM
For versions this is not an improvement.
At the moment we can already do a "Show all versions" for multiple files. In the result window do a "select all" and send the images to the viewer. (problem is that you can't have images without versions show up in the result window. Believe there is a feature request for this)
In the version/stack panels you can only show one master with its related files.

ubacher

I thought of another way to deal with this ( and many other operations) with stacks/versions:

If the Stack/Versions Panel were to be like a result window (but in a separate window) then one could actually do something with the
files displayed - rather than just look at the files.